beer engine help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Hey folks. I posted to this thread earlier but I want to start my own project so I am starting a new thread and requesting help in understanding.

I do not quite get how it all works, specifically how the beer is actually moved without CO2 pressure. I would love to see a copy of the original article cited in the above thread if anyone can get it to me, and of course any tips.

I have had a taste of cask ale recently and I am hooked. What I would like to do is make beer engine that hooks up to a mini-keg. I know you can just use the gravity tap, but somehow this "feels" more authentic. Not to mention it is fun to make "stuff"

:ban:

Plus, using a cooler to run the beer through I could have more control over the temp I believe since I do not have a controller for my fridge. I figure the mini-keg is a good size to consume in a few days also. Whatever help I get will be credited and greatly appreciated and if it works well I will be happy to contribute a write-up on it.

Anybody? sonvolt? Bueller?

;)

Cool article, thanks David.

So the camper faucet in the above thread is a pump then. Since it seems that the beer engines described in the article draws a set amount, either pint or half pint, into the piston chamber (if I am understanding correctly) than I imagine this camper pump would need to be pumped several times to fill a glass? Am I anywhere close to understanding? Afraid I am not very knoweledgable about engineering or mechanics.

the more I read the more I think perhaps it is better to just use the built in gravity tap. I have my first batch in the mini-kegs now priming. Unfortunately the batch is infected, but I guess I will at least be able to see the mechanics of it. I suppose my only hesitation is that there will be alot of yeast drawn off with the gravity tap. Still interested in the beer engine.

...And making a beer engine just seems cool.

Back