Wyeast 1056 smells like rotten eggs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerfresh

Reaction score
Popped a smack pack I just bought from LHBS and opened it after the wort was chilled only to get a powerful whiff of rotten eggs. Has anyone else had this happen before?

I had some saved yeast in the fridge. One that was 3 weeks or so olld was washed and saved in a pet bottle. It smelled really bad! Like eggs- rotten eggs. Is this due to infection after it was bottled and stored? I used other yeast I had laying around and even this yeast smelled but just noticeable. I didnt have more yeast to pitch, so I took a chance. Then I got cold feet one day later and found 2 packages of 34/70 in the freezer. So I dumped them too.
But I think it was a stupid thing to do. Because the foam inside may not come from the vigorous shaking the day before, but from fermenting.

So if the smell dont come from infection, it may be good, just use a little more? But if its infection, ill just dump the batch and brew a new one.

So what can the smell be? When I washed the yeast, it wasnt smelling bad. And it has not been fermenting since then. Or can it be just the smell of dying yeast cells?

I just used the Wyeast 1010 for American Wheat, it gave off a strong sulfur smell for the first 2 days of fermentation.

Also just used Wyeast 1010 for American Wheat, smells like rotten eggs about 3 days into fermentation.

@mxpx5678 how did yours turn out?

Back