Oops added fresh lemon juice instead of lemon concetrate at bottling....bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunarpancake

Reaction score
Ok so my recipe calls for 4oz of lemon concentrate to be added before bottling. I mistakenly added fresh lemon juice. How will this effect my recipe? Is there a possibility for calamity such as bottle bombs, or spoilage?

I don't care if I will end up with less-lemony beer, I am just worried about something bad happening.

If the lemon concentrate was intended to provide the sugar necessary to carb the bottles, then your bottles won't carb. What was your recipe?

The good news: if you have to dump all these back in the bottling bucket, you won't have to worry too much about oxidation due to the lemon juice you added.

If the lemon concentrate was intended to provide the sugar necessary to carb the bottles, then your bottles won't carb. What was your recipe?

The good news: if you have to dump all these back in the bottling bucket, you won't have to worry too much about oxidation due to the lemon juice you added.

Well, I used priming sugar anyways, so I should be OK i guess.

The recipe was "Metedeconk Ale" from my local brew store. The directions are great 'till the bottling part. Only states "Add 4oz of Lemon Concentrate prior to bottling" But I believe it came with 5oz of priming sugar as well.

Not sure on the sugar because I have a ton of 5oz priming packets since I also Keg.

I am really only concerned that adding the fresh juice will cause some sort of spoilage, or infection? I doubt infection will happen because of the alcohol content, but im worried about spoilage since it is a fresh juice.

The juice won't have harmful bacteria. It was probably pasteurized. If you squeezed it yourself, there is a 1 in 100,000 chance you might get an infection. I wouldn't worry about it. They use that stuff to make cleaning agents. It's so high in vitamin C that it's sterile. That's why citric acid is added to almost all fruit juices, to preserve it.

The juice won't have harmful bacteria. It was probably pasteurized. If you squeezed it yourself, there is a 1 in 100,000 chance you might get an infection. I wouldn't worry about it. They use that stuff to make cleaning agents. It's so high in vitamin C that it's sterile. That's why citric acid is added to almost all fruit juices, to preserve it.

I squeezed it myself. Well, there's not much I can do now except wait anyways.

Ill post an update in a few weeks if I remember.

I squeezed it myself. Well, there's not much I can do now except wait anyways.

Ill post an update in a few weeks if I remember.

hi Luney. I'm trolling through the search function, as I'm brewing up some of the Metedeconk Summer next week.

How did this turn out for you?

Back