A Rare Mead Indeed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger12pk

Reaction score
I like to frequent a site here on the web that has a lot of beginner mead brewing tips and the other day the site host posted some pictures of a 38 year old bottle of Lindesfarne Mead!.....im guessing it would be tasty and spectacular...

go see it here:

All About Mead Making

:mug:

That's an intersting site with a lot of great tips. I like the way this guy thinks outside of the box with ideas like using coconuts as primary fermentation vessels. Thanks for the link.

That's an intersting site with a lot of great tips. I like the way this guy thinks outside of the box with ideas like using coconuts as primary fermentation vessels. Thanks for the link.

Your quite welcome SS!
It is his one gallon methods im using right now to get started in my new hobby. Ive emailed him many times with questions and he answers quickly and he isnt bothered by noobs like me. Your right about the coconuts. Id love to hear if they are turning out or not! Very unusual!

:)

One more thing. How is it possible to ferment a beverage for 2 years? Astonishing to me but it may be simple...now THOSE monks have patience!....LOL

:ban:

One more thing. How is it possible to ferment a beverage for 2 years? Astonishing to me but it may be simple...now THOSE monks have patience!....LOL

:ban:

Small feedings. Start with 1/3 the recipe, and put in 1/2# honey every few weeks once the bubbling starts to slow. :)

I did it with Apfelwein - I put in a can of concentrate every week for 2 months to keep it fermenting.

I'm glad you posted this. The one gallon method seems simple and small which is right up my alley since I live in an apartment and I'm just getting started.

- Fermentation was allowed to continue for 2 years producing a natural strength of 24.2 % proof spirit. The mead was laid down in casks in 1970 and remained therein until bottle in 1976. -

Wow, I'm really PO'd that my personal stash of meads made in 93-98 have all "disappeared". I think it is time to build a lockbox storage unit for the batches I'm making now. Or just stop inviting friends and family over.

- Fermentation was allowed to continue for 2 years producing a natural strength of 24.2 % proof spirit. The mead was laid down in casks in 1970 and remained therein until bottle in 1976.
Now what does that say about those who are overly concerned about autolysis, and the need to promptly rack their mead off the lees? ;)

IMO (and that of others), autolysis is not necessarily a bad thing. It can add complexity to a mead. My last pyment (Riesling) was intentionally left on the primary lees for 9 months to add a hint of nuttiness to it... :)

Ruger. Will (owner of stormthecastle.com) is a great guy and has lots of good advice..but if you haven't talked with him yet about some of those 1 gallon recipes..he did NOT like a couple of them. His Raspberry was far too sweet...trust me, I've made this one..the amount of honey needs to be cut way back, and more raspberries added in my opinion. His orange/spice/cinnamon is nice..but just a slight variation of JAOM recipe. His vanilla mead he made, he said was flat out horrible and would never make again. His Pumpkin mead he said was very nice.

Again, he's got some great info and has helped me out alot too. If you talk to him again tell him Dan says hi!

Dan

Ruger. Will (owner of stormthecastle.com) is a great guy and has lots of good advice..but if you haven't talked with him yet about some of those 1 gallon recipes..he did NOT like a couple of them. His Raspberry was far too sweet...trust me, I've made this one..the amount of honey needs to be cut way back, and more raspberries added in my opinion. His orange/spice/cinnamon is nice..but just a slight variation of JAOM recipe. His vanilla mead he made, he said was flat out horrible and would never make again. His Pumpkin mead he said was very nice.

Again, he's got some great info and has helped me out alot too. If you talk to him again tell him Dan says hi!

Dan

No problem Fly Ill let him know! I actually sent him an invite to join us here and share the wealth as it were! Im a newbie so im sticking with traditional Meads right now...Once I get a few batches under my belt without ruin Ill try something a bit different...Ill prolly go with the JAOM myself...logical next step

:mug:

Back