Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akamatt

Reaction score
I just received my new refractometer and I thought that it would have a gravity reading on one side and a Brix % on the other. it just has Brix % what is a easy way to convert my Brix % to a gravity reading?
Thank You
Matt

When I went to pick up some kegs from Brewtopia last weekend, he let me check out his refractometer. Those things are rad! Of course it's one of those gadgets that you don't necessarily need, but boy would I like one!

The only thing I use mine for is to take wort readings from my mash. It's nice not have to adjust for temp. and only requires a few drops.

Probably worth noting that a refractometer is useful for measuring OG. It will not correctly measure FG. I think there is a chart or tool out there somewhere to help convert the FG reading to what it actually should be.

Probably worth noting that a refractometer is useful for measuring OG. It will not correctly measure FG. I think there is a chart or tool out there somewhere to help convert the FG reading to what it actually should be.
Yeah, that's why I only use it for pre-fermentation reading.

From what I've heard, the conversion tools are pretty crappy/inaccurate. You still want to use a hydrometer once fermentation has begun.

I've found that the post fermentation conversion tool in Promash is fairly accurate for beers with an OG less than about 1.050, but it gets progressively more inaccurate as the OG increases.

-a.

+1- This method is usually +/- .001 from the common brewing software assuming you have an Automatic temperature adjusting Refractometer.

I realise that it is off somewhat . But I think its subjective as one person could read the hydro as 1.044 and another 1.043

I realise that it is off somewhat . But I think its subjective as one person could read the hydro as 1.044 and another 1.043

That was sorta my point. I use a refrac for OG & FG cause the calculators are within .001 so its as accurate if not more than I can do reading the damn hydrometer.

That was sorta my point. I use a refrac for OG & FG cause the calculators are within .001 so its as accurate if not more than I can do reading the damn hydrometer.

So were on the same page. Its a ***** having to hold the damn thing 3 feet away from my face just to read the hydro..

Back