challenger hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheels

Reaction score
I have access to a lot of challenger hops but i have never used them before so i'm asking you guys that have brewed with challenger before to help me out a little. what style did you use them in and what did you think. thanks for the help, eric

Challenger makes a great stout or porter. I used it in my last 10gal batch of Hobgoblin too! I did half US-Goldings and half Challenger, since I don't have either Styrian Goldings or Fuggles in my freezer.

They're earthy like Fuggles but much much stronger and spicier. I've used them as bittering hops for bitters, ESB and porter with great success. Very british, especially when used with EKG as aroma hops.

Challenger hops are wonderful in almost any British, Scottish or Irish brew. They are mid/high in alphas (8-9%) but still have very good flavor and aroma. Their flavor is good enough that Challenger can stand alone in a UK ale. They also blend exceptionally well with the traditional British "noble" hops like Fuggles and Kent Goldings so you can save those varieties for late additions. :mug:

Well this is good to hear. For the Special Bitter I'm brewing this weekend, I used Jamil's recipe, but subbed in Challenger for the bittering addition to save some coin on hops. Challenger and Yakima Goldings (which are a really excellent sub for EKG's, imo) should make a tasty brew, I suppose.

I love challenger in a nice English style ESB or Porter. This thread has me craving a good ESB, which are hard to find around CT and I've yet to come up with a recipe that I've really enjoyed. Hum... guess I should get back to work on that.

thanks for all the input, i just made the purchase and have a few extra pounds to sell if your interested ( check classifieds) sounds like it will be an ESB on Sat.

Back