Peanut Butter Porter W/Powdered Peanut Butter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you think the 2 cans (I assume you used the 6.5oz cans not the 1lb cans) provided enough PB flavor? Could you detect any chocolate with only 8oz of nibs?

So I made a classic stout (pale malt, flaked, roast, 4.7%) and decided to spice it up a bit at the last second. I thought about doing the vodka thing, but I don't have the patience (or the vodka either). I decided just to throw two cans of pb2 into secondary along with 8oz of cacao nibs. I have had lots of success with cacao nibs in the past, but have never tried peanuts. I'll let you know how it turns out!

I added 1lb of powdered pb the last couple of minutes of a boil for a 10g batch of brown porter. I split the batch into two 5g carboys and left one alone. The other one fermented for a week, I then boiled a bit of water and added 1lb of chocolate pb powder to that, then into a carboy, and racked 5g on top for a week.

The first one had a nice roasted flavor but you wouldn't be able to tell it was pb, it did make the brown porter more nutty/roasty but it tasted like it was done through malt. The second one definitely had a pb aroma and flavor. It started fading after about 3-4 weeks. People really liked it, I wanted more pb out of it. I don't think the brown porter was the best recipe to use, maybe just a regular porter or stout. Next time I'll use 1lb per 5g last few minutes of the boil, then 1lb of just pb not chocolate pb into the secondary.

I brewed something similar to this three weeks ago:

6.5# Maris Otter
1.0# Flaked Oats
.75# Crystal 80
.75# Pale Chocolate Malt (220)
.50# Chocolate Malt (420)
1.0oz Fuggles @ 60
0.5oz Fuggles @ 30
0.5oz Fuggles @ 15
Nottingham Yeast

For the peanut butter I used 13oz (2 pb2 containers) and started slowly adding it with 7 minutes to go in the boil. I added the last bit around 3 minutes to go. I went with this method to control the foaming.

It came out pretty good. The peanut butter is definitely detectable but not overpowering. I'm serving this on nitro so it has a smooth creamy peanut butter flavor to it right now. Enjoyable, I would make it again.

WP_20150202_002.jpg

Has anyone tried to mix powdered peanut butter with the all natural peanut butter in to something like a paste ??

I am bottling something very close to this tomorrow. I can't wait to taste it. I did one jar instead of two for the dehydrated peanut butter. The whole time it has been in the secondary I have been asking myself if I should have done two jars.

I used a smoked porter recipe to add the peanut butter too. I was thinking of a smoked reese's peanut butter cup when I made it.

One other difference I had from the original recipe is I added the peanut butter at the end of the boil.

Interested to see what yeast strains have been used with success on a beer like this. Would it be better to use a clean, chico type ale strain to minimize any yeast flavors detracting from the PB/Chocolate flavors, or is an english yeast, maybe 002 to attenuate a little lower and leave a little residual sweetness and some subtle fruit/diacetyl character suitable?

Interested to see what yeast strains have been used with success on a beer like this. Would it be better to use a clean, chico type ale strain to minimize any yeast flavors detracting from the PB/Chocolate flavors, or is an english yeast, maybe 002 to attenuate a little lower and leave a little residual sweetness and some subtle fruit/diacetyl character suitable?

I was wondering the same thing. I'm doing an amped up version of billym99's recipe above with 1.072og. Was leaning towards S04 or nottingham if anyone has any input about it

I brewed something similar to this three weeks ago:

6.5# Maris Otter
1.0# Flaked Oats
.75# Crystal 80
.75# Pale Chocolate Malt (220)
.50# Chocolate Malt (420)
1.0oz Fuggles @ 60
0.5oz Fuggles @ 30
0.5oz Fuggles @ 15
Nottingham Yeast

For the peanut butter I used 13oz (2 pb2 containers) and started slowly adding it with 7 minutes to go in the boil. I added the last bit around 3 minutes to go. I went with this method to control the foaming.

It came out pretty good. The peanut butter is definitely detectable but not overpowering. I'm serving this on nitro so it has a smooth creamy peanut butter flavor to it right now. Enjoyable, I would make it again.

WP_20150202_002.jpg

wowww!!
amazing!

Is this a 10gal recipe?

Back