oxygen regulator is whistling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Hey everyone, lately my oxygen regulator has been whistling at a high pitch while Iam pumping oxygen into my wort, it is also blowing off oxygen out of the little hole on top of the handle. any thoughts on why this is happening? i use a 1.1 cubic foot benzomatic disposable red oxygen tank and a smith o2 reg. thanks !

Sounds like you are pumping O2 too fast. If you are, your O2 tank won't last very long. I adjust mine so that it bubbles fairly gently, and doesn't generate too much foam, and give it about 90 seconds.

-a.

It's leaking. Mine does that on occassion (they're cheaply built), you'll run through a bottle in a batch. Put your thumb on top where it's leaking as a short-term fix, or if it's like mine you can fiddle with it to a location where it doesn't leak.

Take a cafeful whack with a hammer in the nipple that sticks out , it's leaking ,and needs to be reseated. I had the same problem, it was a god aweful goose dying sound right ?. They are cheap, don't be afraid , give it a nice whack and it will stop from leaking, or you will be running thru allot of O2.. just to clarify, take it off the bottle first, lay it on a solid surface, and drive the nipple like a nail into the regulator . try to do this with accuracy, that is staright into it.

see if that doesn't fix your leak:mug:

Mr bowenz , thanks, I am gunna go whack the **** out of this thing right now, as for bird...

BIRD BE CAREFUL!!!!! Be very careful with lube near oxygen regulators and parts! I am pretty sure you should not lubricate any of the parts of the regulator. oil and o2, when mixed in a certain ratio will explode. I am pretty sure you do not want any fluids near the opening of your o2 bottle or inside the regulator. whatever keg lube is composed of ( if its not oil ) I would still err on the side of caution and not take a chance until you know EXACTLY what you are doing... just a heads up! :)

Back