Open Air Fermentation- ever tried it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
I am brewing an 18.5% stout in the next few weeks, and am a bit concerned that the yeast (WLP099), while good up to 25% abv, might have a bit of a problem with all the sugars. I was considering an open air ferment for a few days. Has anyone ever tried it? If not, any other suggestions for getting a fuller attenuation? Thanks!

Landhoney has a thread going. I just did a quick search and didn't come up with it. I'm sure if you pm him he'd be happy to share any info he has. Or he'll answer this thread.

kaj030201 said:
I am brewing an 18.5% stout in the next few weeks, and am a bit concerned that the yeast (WLP099), while good up to 25% abv, might have a bit of a problem with all the sugars. I was considering an open air ferment for a few days. Has anyone ever tried it? If not, any other suggestions for getting a fuller attenuation? Thanks!

Just when you think you're done experimenting.....;) I've never done a side by side to say for certain if you get better attenuation. I will say that following Whitelabs directions for wlp099 is vital:
http://www.whitelabs.com/gravity.html

Back