Altbier Kaiser Alt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A buddy and i brewed this exactly one week ago. Everything went as planned. I pitched a one liter starter of wy1007 into about 68° / 1.045 wort. It fermented like a badass for several days at 64°. Upon opening the fermenter for a gravity reading today, I found it like this. It appears from the ring that the cap has fallen back but yet there's still this layer on top. I don't have experience with this strain. Is this expected? I plan to follow Kai's instructions for fining, but not without consistent SG readings. Today's reading was ~1.013. Right on track with the recipe. I'll check again tomorrow. Taste is good with a dry body and a good malt and roast flavor. Great recipe!

This is what all top cropping strains do. German wheat, alt, some english yeasts, a few american yeasts all do this. After fermentation is done the yeast form goopy glumps on the surface.

I had a day to kill so I triple decocted this in march. Just bottled today. Quite a tasty beer indeed. Im very excited for it to carb up. Im going to have to try a single infusion version to see if all the decoction made a difference.Anyway cheers to you kai.

I was originally going to attempt this as a pm, but I think I'm gonna make the jump to AG soon. So this will be my first decoction :rockin: I'd also like to krausen this, but I keg and I'm wondering how it will change the amount needed when kegging. I know the amount of priming sugar changes, so I would assume the amount of krausen you need would change as well?

This brew looks great. It's next on my list, but before I start I'd like to get some clarification on the bottle carbing process. Up to this point I've only used sugar additions to carb the bottles, but this looks like a much better solution. The problem is, I can't figure out the calculations required to know the secondary pitching volume and gravity to get the correct amount of carbonation in the beer.

I saw the equations on Kaiser's site, but I think I'm making an order of operations error or something, because I can't figure out how he got 1.5L kraeusen to carb 4.5 gal of beer. If someone could give me quick and dirty breakdown on how to calculate these volumes it would be much appreciated as I might starting down this with other beers of differing gravity and batch size.

I have read somewhere, it might have been BYO, that some German altbier brewers use a little wheat in their mash (up to 5%). Kaiser and others, do you know anything about this?

Kai,
I recently made this alt, and it turned out quite good. I did 100% FWH on this, just as a test and it seemed like it worked for this. Not sure how traditional FWH is for Alts, but I do know it is a traditional practice in German brewing. I was curious of your thoughts on FWH with this recipe?

Thank you!

Ryan

I brewed a single infusion BIAB version of this recipe and it turned out fantastic. Pitched a large starter at 58 and raised to 65 over the course of 4 days, and then held it there to ferment. Lagered for a few weeks after that. Will be brewing this one again in the future for sure.

I brewed this great beer again, but this time my efficiency was through the roof. The OG was about 1.055. Should I just relax and call this a Sticke Alt?

I brewed and kegged three gallons of this and it came out great.
Single 60 minute infusion mash at 150 degrees.
RO water with some calcium chloride along with some added acid malt to the grain bill.
Spalt hops
One smack pack of 1007 (no starter) fermented at 64 for about a week before ramping up for finishing.

Thanks for this great recipe!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back