Any help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellysrepairs

Reaction score
So I brewed a batch of Hefe last night that I was wanting to. Everything seemed to go great but I have no activity from my yeast yet. I had 8lb wheat lme 1lb lite lme 1lb vienna malt that I steeped before, I used white labs hefe IV for a 5.5 gallon batch. temp is good but OG seemed high 1.088 my LHBS guy told me I might need to pitch another one due to the high gravity but sometimes takes 24-48hrs to get going so give it a day, I thought that white labs yeast was supposed to take off pretty quick. any advise would be awesome .:rockin:

So I brewed a batch of Hefe last night that I was wanting to. Everything seemed to go great but I have no activity from my yeast yet. I had 8lb wheat lme 1lb lite lme 1lb vienna malt that I steeped before, I used white labs hefe IV for a 5.5 gallon batch. temp is good but OG seemed high 1.088 my LHBS guy told me I might need to pitch another one due to the high gravity but sometimes takes 24-48hrs to get going so give it a day, I thought that white labs yeast was supposed to take off pretty quick. any advise would be awesome .:rockin:

you sure about that OG? I punched 8 pounds of wheat LME and 1 pound pale LME into Beersmith and it estimates a 1.059 OG for 5.5 gallons... you would gain some points with the 1# of Vienna Malt in steeping but not that many.

Did you make a yeast starter? I've seen liquid yeast take up to 48 hours to show activity in starters I have made. If you didn't make a starter you should consider doing so in the future when using liquid yeast, there really is not enough yeast cells in vial/smack pack of liquid to adequately ferment a 5 gallon batch (especially at that high OG). My last vial of white labs was purchased about a month after the "use by" date... took at least a day to show activity in the starter. Also, if you happen to get bad yeast you would know before brewing your 5 gallon batch.

Check out www.mrmalty.com , it has a good pitching calculator for yeast that I have found helpful. Going by what it suggests has improved my beers.

If you brewed it last night if you don't see activity yet I wouldn't freak out. You definitely underpitched if your gravity was that high and you pitched one pack. Depending on the viability (age) of that pack you could have sorely underpitched your yeast. If you can get to the LHBS quickly I would pitch another pack.

Most likely your yeast will begin working soon, but they probably wont fully attenuate.

If you didn't make a starter, then I would expect to see a lagtime that could be up to the 72 hours we mention in the sticky that says "Fermentation can take 24-72 hours...."

1.060-1.064 is also what I calculate in beersmith with your LME and vienna. Assuming a good conversion on vienna you'd be at the higher end, otherwise somewhere in between.

Assuming 1.062, yeastcalc thinks you should use ~237 billion yeast cells. A white labs vial will typically contain up to 100 billion. Therefore, you would have pitched a little less than half as much as you really should have. This may lead to a longer lag phase. The good part is that you may achieve more esters from the yeast which could be a great thing for a hefeweizen.

Most importantly, no start between last night and right now is nothing to worry about. Give it another 3 days to get going. If nothing by then, then you _might_ consider pitching another vial or waiting one more day. Make sure you have your fermenter sitting at around 70 degrees and when you see activity beginning you can bring the temps down to recommended manufacturers range.

No I didnt use a starter I just went by directions on vial. now you got me thinking about that OG. im almost positive thats what it was after bringing it up to 5.5 gal. man I need to not drink so much when im brewing:drunk: And my LHBS is closed on monday so im gonna have to wait till tomorrow morning to go get and pitch another one. Is pitching it twice gonna change anything about it?

It's possible that you when you topped off with water and took a sample it was not mixed well, giving you a less diluted sample to take a gravity reading of. Either this or you were too drunk to read the hydrometer! :mug:

Pitching a second tube of yeast shouldn't hurt anything. A second vial will get you closer to the amount of yeast needed to ferment this beer.

Just got home from work and after 24 hours from pitching I have some tiny bit of activity :D I think I might still pitch some more tomorrow just to make sure. would that be ok to do?

My understanding is that once yeast has reached a maximum density then additional yeast is unnecessary, and might actually be a detriment. If it were me, I would save my money. If the yeast is to excrete off flavors then they will already be in the brew before you add a new vial. Again, being a hefeweizen, an underpitching might actually work in your favor since you'll hopefully get additional beneficial esters from the yeast.

Just got home from work and after 24 hours from pitching I have some tiny bit of activity :D I think I might still pitch some more tomorrow just to make sure. would that be ok to do?

No. If it's fermenting, it's already past the reproduction phase so more yeast at this point would just be a waste of $7.

Ok so if I check it in morning and nothing? im getting 1 bubble every 10 sec. I know I should be patient but I dont wanna loose my chance to repitch.

Ok so if I check it in morning and nothing? im getting 1 bubble every 10 sec. I know I should be patient but I dont wanna loose my chance to repitch.

How bout instead just relax and IGNORE what your airlock is or isn't doing. And trust those of us who've been doing it longer than you?

Bubbling doesn't really mean anything other than the airlock is bubbling. And airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it's a vent to bleed off EXCESS gas, be it oxygen or EXCESS co2. It shouldn't be looked at as anything else, because an airlock can bubble or stop bubbling for whatever reasons, including a change in temperature (gas expands and contracts depending on ambient temps) changes in barometric pressure (You can have bubbling or suckback in the airlock, depending on pressure on the fermenter) whether or not a truck is going by on the street, the vacuum cleaner is running, or your dog is trying to have sex with the fermenter. Or co2 can get out around the lid of the bucket or the bung...it doesn't matter how the co2 gets out, just that it is.

And bubbles don't coordinate with anything concrete within the fermenter either, "x bubbles/y minute" does NOT TRANSLATE to any numerical change in gravity....if an instruction says do something when bubbles do something per something, throw the instructions out.

Fermentation is not always dynamic, just because you can't see what's going on, doesn't mean nothing is going on. And just because your airlock starts up, and then slows down or stops in a few days, doesn't mean fermentation is over YET, it just means the excess co2 is not coming out of the airlock...not that the yeast is done.

The only way to know how your beer is doing is to take a hydrometer reading, if you're worried. But not until 72 hours have gone by. Then if you're still concerned, take one...then you'll know.

Counting bubbles does not equate to anything usable in fermentation. It's not like "x bubbles/minute= y gravity points." It just means that co2 is being released....but it could also NOT be bubbling, and still fermenting away.

Relax, leave your beer alone and let it do it's thing for a couple more weeks, and most importantly, IGNORE what your airlock does or doesn't do.

In fact you might find this discussion on the superfluousness of airlocks something that will help you get a handle on this. It was started by a newer brewing who just grasped this concept.

You don't NEED to repitch, and there's no "window" you need to worry about. If your beer didn't finish fermenting for example and was stuck and you didn't discover it until bottling day a month from now, you could simply add more yeast then if you had to a give it a few weeks. You won't need to repitch, but the only "deadline" for it is whatever you are seeming to imagine you have....

Thanks Revvy. Didnt think of it that way. I do need to be more patient and let it do its thing, I just got impatient and I cant see inside because I have this batch in a ferm bucket and not a carboy. I have heard of getting dead yeast even tho the best before on the yeast is 3/9 . I am still very new at this only being my 4th batch, I just have been really excited about making this one for a while and wanted everything to go perfect. Thanks again for the advise. by the way my airlock is going crazy and might even need to throw on the blow off tube.:rockin::mug:

Revvy said:
How bout instead just relax and IGNORE what your airlock is or isn't doing. And trust those of us who've been doing it longer than you?

Bubbling doesn't really mean anything other than the airlock is bubbling. And airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it's a vent to bleed off EXCESS gas, be it oxygen or EXCESS co2. It shouldn't be looked at as anything else, because an airlock can bubble or stop bubbling for whatever reasons, including a change in temperature (gas expands and contracts depending on ambient temps) changes in barometric pressure (You can have bubbling or suckback in the airlock, depending on pressure on the fermenter) whether or not a truck is going by on the street, the vacuum cleaner is running, or your dog is trying to have sex with the fermenter. Or co2 can get out around the lid of the bucket or the bung...it doesn't matter how the co2 gets out, just that it is.

And bubbles don't coordinate with anything concrete within the fermenter either, "x bubbles/y minute" does NOT TRANSLATE to any numerical change in gravity....if an instruction says do something when bubbles do something per something, throw the instructions out.

Fermentation is not always dynamic, just because you can't see what's going on, doesn't mean nothing is going on. And just because your airlock starts up, and then slows down or stops in a few days, doesn't mean fermentation is over YET, it just means the excess co2 is not coming out of the airlock...not that the yeast is done.

The only way to know how your beer is doing is to take a hydrometer reading, if you're worried. But not until 72 hours have gone by. Then if you're still concerned, take one...then you'll know.

Counting bubbles does not equate to anything usable in fermentation. It's not like "x bubbles/minute= y gravity points." It just means that co2 is being released....but it could also NOT be bubbling, and still fermenting away.

Relax, leave your beer alone and let it do it's thing for a couple more weeks, and most importantly, IGNORE what your airlock does or doesn't do.

In fact you might find this discussion on the superfluousness of airlocks something that will help you get a handle on this. It was started by a newer brewing who just grasped this concept.

You don't NEED to repitch, and there's no "window" you need to worry about. If your beer didn't finish fermenting for example and was stuck and you didn't discover it until bottling day a month from now, you could simply add more yeast then if you had to a give it a few weeks. You won't need to repitch, but the only "deadline" for it is whatever you are seeming to imagine you have....

My dog also has sex with my fermenters. Small world.

My heffes alaays take long to introduce themselves to the yeast.. Did you mention what yeast you used? Some of the white labs i used took a while then shot off like july 4th at Macy's!

You could just wait a week and take a sample reading.. It should be on its way down by then..

+1 on the airlock bubbles not meaning anything.. But being a fun thing to watch while drinking some home brew!

Back