Turkey fryer timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjlynn1982

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm very new to the world of home brewing and have recently purchased a cheap turkey fryer from Walmart. I've brewed two batches on it and despite the price tag, it's done a fine job. My only issue is a built in 15 minute timer that kills the flame if I don't reset it in time. Not a huge deal but if I'm not paying attention or focused on some other part of the process, as I often am ( I did mention I'm new, right??? ) it shuts off and I have to relight it in a rush. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for overriding this minor annoyance. Thanks!

Pat

My solution - duct tape. It only lasts 3-4 brews, but saves me from having to relight. Depending on your setup, you might be able to bypass the timer.

LOL, i got a 13 minute timer on my watch as a work around...

My turkey fryer came from walmart, they all look alike. I tried to short a few of the connectors, but of course I never remember to do it when I am not brewing. No luck so far.

I figure there are two switches, temp sensor and timer. Since they should be Normally Open or Normally Closed. I haven't tinkered enough to figure out which one they should be. I kinda like the temp sensor, saved my ass (gas) when the wind blew it out. So I'd like to bypass the timer.

Simple logic would be yank both connections to the timer and you have a NO, short the two together and you have an NC. One of those two scenarios will work.

My solution - duct tape. It only lasts 3-4 brews, but saves me from having to relight. Depending on your setup, you might be able to bypass the timer.

That was my other thought, set the timer to 15 minutes, crazy glue the knob.

NASA, design a million dollar pen that can write in zero gravity.
USSR, use a 2 cent pencil.

I needed a new burner and got the same thing. Ended up unscrewing one side and cutting the other then attaching a male end to pull the tube over and then used a flange to secure it.
Bring the regulator hose down to your local hardware store and look through their drawers to find the right fittings and just bypass it. Your brewing experience will be far more relaxing :D

I'm going to go against the tide here and say that my timer is more useful working than it is non-working.

Yes, it's a pain to have to turn the knob or you lose the flame, especially if you're not paying attention and you don't know that it happened until your wort stops boiling.... :mad:

However, I find using the knob is the easiest and most convenient way to turn off the burner when it's necessary (i.e. adding extract, DME, LME, etc.). So, I've elected to just leave it and work with it as is.

My .02.

Wow, first post on this thing and instantly got a ton of suggestions! I'm brewing again in a couple weekends and will tinker with these ideas and let you know. Thanks guys!

Good YouTube video out there about disabling that timer...it's a matter of taking two wires and splicing them together

Back