Yeast for English IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatspin

Reaction score
Hi all. I've got an English IPA planned for this weekend and have been debating among the following yeasts, which are all sitting washed in my fridge:

- Safale S-04
- Safale US-05
- Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite
- Wyeast 1968 London ESB

Of these options, I'd prefer to use the US-05 on a breakfast stout that will get going in a couple weeks, but I am open to any and all suggestions. This is the first English IPA I have tried, so I'm not sure whether to concentrate on the English characteristics or the IPA cleanliness in yeast flavor. Any suggestions?

I vote for WY1318, but if those four were my only choices, I would go with 1968. It's said to be a PITA when bottling, but you could get around that by pitching US-05 after 1968 finishes. S-04 would be my second choice.

I know it's not on your list, but I really like either Wyeast 1882-PC or 1335 for my IPA's and ESB's.

Wyeast 1335 is one of my 'standard' yeast strains these days. As mentioned 1318 is another solid strain. I've used it with great success too. I'm brewing styles from the British Isles, so I'm using all UK based yeasts (as well as everything else, with very rare exceptions).

Latest posts

Back