Over Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msppilot

Reaction score
I see this question has been posted several times and the general consensus seems to be either an infection or green beer. I am having the same issue, but it is not happening on all the bottles. I am not getting a volcano from the bottle, it just seems to over top the bottle and spill over the counter. This is happening on an oatmeal stout partial mash I brewed back on 10/9/2011 and bottled on 11/12. I used normal priming sugar during bottling and the bottles had been in the fridge for several days before opening. Is it possible I filled the bottles too much or is something else causing this?

I see this question has been posted several times and the general consensus seems to be either an infection or green beer. I am having the same issue, but it is not happening on all the bottles. I am not getting a volcano from the bottle, it just seems to over top the bottle and spill over the counter. This is happening on an oatmeal stout partial mash I brewed back on 10/9/2011 and bottled on 11/12. I used normal priming sugar during bottling and the bottles had been in the fridge for several days before opening. Is it possible I filled the bottles too much or is something else causing this?

Since it's not happening to every bottle, it sounds like an uneven mixing of priming sugar into the beer. If it's not mixed in well, some bottles will have more and some bottles will have less.

Yooper said:
Since it's not happening to every bottle, it sounds like an uneven mixing of priming sugar into the beer. If it's not mixed in well, some bottles will have more and some bottles will have less.

Agreed. If you're adding sugar to the bottle and then filling them, make sure it's the same amount (or better yet, considering making priming solution and adding it to the bottling bucket). If you're already adding it to the bottling bucket, try adding the priming solution to the bottling bucket first, then siphoning the beer ontop of it. It will mix better. Also GENTLY stir the beer around with the solution in it, dont splash it around or it'll oxidize.

I had this with my early batches. I put the priming solution in the bucket and let the siphon swirl the beer. I now do the same but gently stir some more. The last batches have been better but still some are more carbonated than others.

It must be an uneven mixing of the priming solution. I have been mixing it prior and then putting the solution in the bottling bucket before I siphon. However, I usually don't mix the solution after everything is in the bottling bucket.

Latest posts

Back