Brewing Slide-Rule ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
So, before the flaming starts (bumber I have to preface a post eh?), I have no problem buying this thing. It's only 8 bucks w/ free shipping, so this post is NOT about being cheap.

That said, I like to make stuff... this DIY forum is one of my favorites here on homebrew talk. So I got to thinking when I was flipping through the a beer gear catalogue the other day and cam across this:

The Home Brewing Recipe Calculator at howtobrew.com

I thought it was kind of cool. I use beersmith mostly, but thought this would be fun to tinker around with.

Before I go ahead and order though, I figured I check to see if anyone had ever come across some DIY instructions for making your own. I searched around but didn't come across anything. Thought it'd be a fun little project to work on if there were some instructions out there for a DIY.

Thanks for the info!

:mug:

That does look fairly handy to have in your pocket on brewday for making adjustments on the fly.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but....

That looks friggin sweet! Just for the retro-bling factor!

But I don't think it will fit in my leather slide-rule case...

Does seem like something I want. Not sure why. Maybe just to whip out on brew day to freak my friends out. Make them think I'm smart or something.

I've been thinking about getting a horsewhip and some buggy wheels too... Maybe even a Sony Betamax...

I have all the sites with the online calculators bookmarked on my iTouch, and I brew in the garage where I have a good WiFi signal.

Still, that sliderule is retro kewl!

:rockin:

I have one of those. Along with "Designing Great Beers" it's how I make all of my recipes. Don't knock it till you've tried it. Who needs an Ipad or a PC on brewday? I brew analog beer.

When they make it with a circuit board, silicon chips, a hard drive and LCD screen I would be interested. Oh wait! I already have one of those! I'm using it right now. :D

Here's another slide chart - this one for balancing keg systems. I collect slide rules, but not slide charts like this, but I had to have this one! I'm not sure just how old it is. (Sorry about the picture quality).

Kegging system balancer slide rule_front.jpg

Kegging system balancer slide rule_back.jpg

Back