chloramide causing problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have done two extract batches over the last month and both finished about .04-6 points high. At first I blamed temperature then yeast then my process etc. But I know 100% not to sound cocky but it's not my process and the yeast may be the problem but i don't think so. I contacted my lhbs and they have know about these last 2 batch issues and finally suggested maybe it's either chlorine or chloromide that are causing the issue with it not finishing as low as it should have. something about gasses not pushing out or something. does this make sense and has anyone else had these issues due to chlorine / chloromides ?:confused:

What water are you using?

If you are doing extract my first guess is your water volumes may be off, are you using steeping grains? How are your temps for fermentation, this would affect attenuation.

If you using treated city water with chlorine or chlorimine you should be doing something to get rid of it. Boiling, camden tablets, something depending on what is in your water.

What water are you using?

If you are doing extract my first guess is your water volumes may be off, are you using steeping grains? How are your temps for fermentation, this would affect attenuation.

If you using treated city water with chlorine or chlorimine you should be doing something to get rid of it. Boiling, camden tablets, something depending on what is in your water.
I'm using tap water and admitedlly yes I was at about 5.25 for a 5 gallon batch. I am using steeping grains the last batch was crystal and roasted barley for a stout. My OG at 60 deg was 1.043 and I pitched at 75 degrees and fermented at 68-70 degrees for 14 days in primary. I did do a partial boil about 3 gallons to remove chlorine but I did add the appx 2 gallons straight from tap to topp off which I'm sure did have a amt of chlorine. But as I said there is no taste issue it's only a issue with FG.

I've never heard of chloromides causing attenuation problems. Can't really think of a reason why it they would either. Are you aerating your wort? If not, this would cause some attenuation issues.

Also, some extracts are less fermentable than others. Are you beers finishing around 1.020? If so, this is a common extract issue.

I've never heard of chloromides causing attenuation problems. Can't really think of a reason why it they would either. Are you aerating your wort? If not, this would cause some attenuation issues.

Also, some extracts are less fermentable than others. Are you beers finishing around 1.020? If so, this is a common extract issue.
Yes my first finished at about 1.018 it was a IPA should have finished closer to 1.014 and my stout finished at 1.016 and should have been at about 1.010-.012.

Yes my first finished at about 1.018 it was a IPA should have finished closer to 1.014 and my stout finished at 1.016 and should have been at about 1.010-.012.

Those sound like perfectly fine FGs - especially with extract. I wouldn't worry about anything. Also...not sure that I would want a stout to finish at 1.010...1.016 sounds perfect.

What's chloramide? Is that the same thing as chloramines?

Chlorine and chloramides in the brewing water don't affect the SG. What they do is make the beer taste bad- like plastic or band-aids (chlorophenols).

If your beers are not finishing, that is staying at 1.020 or above, it's probably recipe related or yeast related. That is usually using too many specialty grains like crystal malt or not pitching enough yeast. If you're using liquid yeast, not making a starter and not aerating the wort would do it.

Looks good to me. Most people seem concerned at 1.02 and even thats a common finish for a stout. I would have gave it 3 weeks but im shure its finished.

Oh, that's different. You're not high at all on FG. Whoever told you that your stout should have finished at 1.010 was wrong- a FG of 1.016 is fine. In fact, my oatmeal stout finishes at 1.018-1.020 because only a dry stout should finish dry!

Oh, that's different. You're not high at all on FG. Whoever told you that your stout should have finished at 1.010 was wrong- a FG of 1.016 is fine. In fact, my oatmeal stout finishes at 1.018-1.020 because only a dry stout should finish dry!
oopps I should have mentioned this was a true brew kit They call it a Irish stout but the recipe says it should finish at 1.010 - .012 The LHBS I bought it from called it a dry stout like a guiness minus the nitro.

It doesn't sound like you have a problem with chloramines. I am a water/wastewater treatment operator, so I am quite familiar with these. Your f.g.'s sound good, but have you calibrated your hydrometer with distilled water to verify your numbers? Since you aren't having taste problems with your brews I wouldn't worry. If you still worry you can blil your top off water for about 10 mins at a full boil, place in a sanitized container, and chill. I do this a couple of days prior to brewing so I have plenty of quality top off water for brew day. I use straight tap water for the boil and steeping grains because the boil itself will eliminate any free chlorine.

As an aside, a couple of the partial mash batches I've brewed were a little sweet, almost unpleasantly so when they were green. Those same beers, 3 months, 6 months later are MUCH better. In my personal experience, aging can forgive small mistakes.

Back