Cold Conditioning & CO2 Absorbtion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgtg

Reaction score
If you decide to make a "half batch" (2.5 gallons) and you purchase a nominal test tube of WL yeast and pitch it, that you have essentially doubled the yeast cell count and thusly reduced the estimated primary fermentation time that is stated on a recipe by half?

I did this last week (and No, I don't have a hydrometer yet. Working on it though) and pitched the whole vial on a partial grain\extract recipe. All of my other batches that were "taylored" to the 2.5 gallon mark (including dry yeast packs) fermented in excess of five days or longer. This batch fermented approximately half of the time stated on the recipe (sweet stout)

Does this sound theoretically correct?? More yeast, less wort, less fermentation time?

Thanks for any insight..

Larry

Larry,
the fermentation should start a little faster since you have a higher initial yeast count. but the overall time probably won't be halved becuase once the yeast get's going, there's going to be so much of it that it'll be going full speed regardless of how much it started with. the start time is probably more important than the overall time anyway, becuase the sooner the yeast gets a foothold in the wort, the less possibility you have of an infection. And as far as the hydrometer goes, don't worry about it. you can use one if you like, but you can brew great beers without it.

Thank you Hercules, very comforting input. I checked it (2-4 oz sample) just a few minutes ago (as I let my Barley Wine air) and there were no off flavors (this is all from a three day cold condition) and there was a definate natural carb, My intention is to get it out of there, leave it sit for a few days (possibly transfer for clarification but who cares, it's a dark beer anyway, who's going to try to make sunlight through the glass anyhow?) and then bottle it.

Taste note; Like I said, no off flavors. But no depth or real charecter either. Probably atributed to being green at this point. Prognosis looks good for aging and conditioning. When it's three in the bottle, I'll crack one and pose it for a picture.

Larry

Back