Which Kegerator to Buy ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBottles

Reaction score
Hello

I need some advice on which kegerator to buy.

Has anyone weighed the pros and cons of buying a 3 tap kegerator vs converting a single tap to a 3 tap?

It looks like the single tap kegerators could hold 3 to 4 corny kegs.

The pre made 3 tap kegerators look like a lot more money for the same space just 2 more taps.

I am not opposed to spending more if it makes more sense and is better in the long run.

Thought I would get some recommendations before spending that kind of money.:mug:

I got my kegerator at a pretty steap discount, so I may not be the best judge of cost vs. value...

But...I have a danby kegerator that originally came as a single tap. Someone returned it to a local store, but somehow got away with not returning any of the kegging stuff (tower, faucet, co2 tank, hoses, etc.). Because of this, I found it as a normal fridge market at $100. I decided to buy the rest of the stuff on my own and it ended up coming to about the same price as it would have brand new. Of course, I got a perlick faucet and better beer lines.

Anyway... I've since upgraded it to a three tap, spending another $140 on a triple tap tower and then buying 2 more perlick faucets for $40 each. It fits 3 corny kegs and my co2 tank inside of it. I love having it. I have a homemade kegerator in the garage, but for inside...I wouldn't give this one up.

Honestly you may want to also factor in the possibility of converting a cheap fridge into a kegerator. The conversion kits + the cost of a cheap fridge usually come out to a fraction of the price, and then you can get exactly what sort of tower you want for it.

I see everyone is all about the perlicks... what about the beer lines? You said you got better ones. What kind?

I bought an edgestar w 2 taps from Kegerator.com... which I have since discovered has horrible svc. It should arrive tomorrow, before the Super Bowl!

I also bought a 1950's GE fridge to convert to a kegerator. So I will now need to buy a kit. If you have suggestions on where to buy or what to buy, I would appreciate them.

Hopefully you don't send me kegerator.coms way though!

I see everyone is all about the perlicks... what about the beer lines? You said you got better ones. What kind?

I bought an edgestar w 2 taps from Kegerator.com... which I have since discovered has horrible svc. It should arrive tomorrow, before the Super Bowl!

I also bought a 1950's GE fridge to convert to a kegerator. So I will now need to buy a kit. If you have suggestions on where to buy or what to buy, I would appreciate them.

Hopefully you don't send me kegerator.coms way though!

If you live in a case/distributor state, your friendly neighborhood beer distro can probably help you out. Where I used to work we sold micromatic kits.

Their website is here: http://www.micromatic.com/

There are others out there if you google for kegerator kits. You may also have some luck if you talk to your LHBS.

Back