Frozen hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crlova2

Reaction score
I got 8 ounces of centennial hops in the mail yesterday and I am going to use them on Friday. They are pellet hops vacuum sealed from AHS. I put them in the freezer.... Do I put them straight from the freezer into my boil or should I lay them out to thaw beforehand?

I would let them warm up in room temperature for at least 30 minutes ahead of time. If you bring them out when you begin the entire process, you will have way more than 30 minutes of thaw time. Just make sure you keep them out of the sun and sealed until you are ready.

I usually divvy up my hops into their various additions as I'm mashing so they're usually at or near room temp by the time they go into the boil, but as passedpawn says I don't think there's any real need to thaw them out first. Boiling wort will do that in a second or so when you toss them in.

I just don't like taking anything from VERY cold to VERY hot instantly. Since I know that there is no problem with them at room temp (For a very short time), I always play on the safe side.

Frozen to Dry Hopping I would assume would be OK.

Back