there should be a warning!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude4

Reaction score
either i missed it or something but i was not thinking of the outcome but in my attempt to degas and add nutrient to my mead resulted in a giant soaking honey volcano:eek: didn't really think about what happens when you agitate CO2, well it shoots through the carboy neck with some serious pressure,soaking my kids books,carpet, walls, boxes of beer bottles,and SWMBO's books as well not too pleased w/me for that :( oh well live and learn

Right in the Staggered Nutrient Addition FAQ, "Be CAREFUL when you add these nutrients as you can get quite a bit of foaming (a physical reaction due to the creation of nucleation points)...":rolleyes:

Read hightests stuff, he knows his ****....

And yes, a bucket fermenter for primary.

I also tend to take a bit of must out, put it in a sanitised liquidiser, add the nutrient and then give it a whizz

Oh and I still at the nutrient liquid slowly, gently, carefully even to the bucket.

It only goes into a carboy when it's at the 1/2 sugar break and I've finished with aeration and stuff like that.......

ya i over-looked the warning part, my bad, a rookie mistake and i paid for it:eek: things will be sticky for a while

Don't feel bad or alone-- I too have made the mead geyser in the kitchen and it was a mess! :eek: But lucky for me- I only had to top off the carboy with about 1 quart of apple juice. Now I mix the nutrient with some hot water (not much) and then carefully add. It is a lessen well learned!:D

mine spewed out a gallon give or take. a foamy gallon takes up more space than one would think lemme tell ya.

Back