When a Great Efficiency Rating isn't a Good thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When you Do a Week Long Yeast starter for a Lager with a planned OG of 1.060. When Mr. Malty calls for a 5.50 liter Starter with 2 Vials of Yeast. I only did 1 vial of yeast, but I refed my starter. Well, I wound up with an OG of 1.066 and an Eff rating of around 84%. WOOOOOPSIE. YAAY!!! No wait, SHAT!!! Off to the LHBS tomorrow for 2 more vials of WLP800 (1 for each carboy). Lookis like my little experiment with the slower Sparging rate paid off. ;)

Why off for another 2 vials? For 0.006 increase in OG? Maybe someone with more experience will weigh in and tell me I'm wrong, but I wouldn't bother and go ahead and pitch what you have and call it good.

Why off for another 2 vials? For 0.006 increase in OG? Maybe someone with more experience will weigh in and tell me I'm wrong, but I wouldn't bother and go ahead and pitch what you have and call it good.

I'd think the same, but I'd like to hear what others think.

Yeah, the way the OP was talking, I figured he was expecting 1.060 and landed in 1.080+ territory. .006 more? Pitch it and forget it.

Went to the LHBS, and they are out of WLP800. So, looks like I am going to let it sit. Funny though. So sign of activity as of yet. Then again, I haven't brewed a lager in about 10 years, soooooo. I hope to see some sort of life by tomorrow evening, the latest.

YAAAAY!!! Fermentation. :ban: Took a while, but it's going on. Noticed something starting to happen yesterday evening. This evening I am cooling the water bath that the Carboy's are sitting in from 56 degrees on down to 50 With Frozen Gallons of Water.

Latest posts

Back