Homebrewing magazines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2nd Street Brewery

Reaction score
Anyone know of any good Homebrewing magazines in existance? I get a couple of monthly local newsletters but they are mostly events/ads. I am looking for some light reading to enjoy with my beer. :cool:

Brew Your Own (aka BYO) seems to be the most popular. I haven't read it yet.....I'll be getting my first one next month.

There's also Zumurgy, which I hear is a little less entertianing that BYO, but still pretty good. Should be getting my first one of those soon, too.

BYO is a fine magazine. They have good articles on equipment, techniques, styles... And they have lots of recipies in every issue. Visit *********** and check out their website. I especially like the "beer wizard."

you'll enjoy BYO. not too technical for begineers, but enough geek for the hard core all-grain brew-dude. like all said above, good techniques, recipes, gadgets, etc.

try Brewing News also. they have regional newspapers that cover that regions craft brewing industry, and even some homebrew stuff. covers events, reviews, brewer write ups, etc. pretty good rag.
cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

DeRoux's Broux said:
you'll enjoy BYO. not too technical for begineers, but enough geek for the hard core all-grain brew-dude. like all said above, good techniques, recipes, gadgets, etc.

try Brewing News also. they have regional newspapers that cover that regions craft brewing industry, and even some homebrew stuff. covers events, reviews, brewer write ups, etc. pretty good rag.
cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

What he said! :p I like BYO.

Zymurgy is especially good this month!

I got mine yesterday and I'm almost done reading it. It almost seems they are trying to be more like BYO!

It has a really good section on "session beers", which is a term I am absolutely in love with. You say "I want to brew a session beer next" to a non-brewer and you sound like a genius! "Session beer" just has so much potential. :D

Of course the highlight of the magazine is the clone recipe for Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. 9% ABV, 90 IBU kickbutt beer. I had a few of these at the NHB conference and it knocked my socks off. Very good brew.

Ordered my subscription for BYO the other day. Unfortunately the email confirming it says my first copy won't mail until August :(
Starting a new batch tommorrow, a Crystal clone from Cuba and I just bought a digital regulator for my fermentation fridge. Can't wait :)

ORRELSE said:
Zymurgy is especially good this month!

I got mine yesterday and I'm almost done reading it. It almost seems they are trying to be more like BYO!

It has a really good section on "session beers", which is a term I am absolutely in love with. You say "I want to brew a session beer next" to a non-brewer and you sound like a genius! "Session beer" just has so much potential. :D

Of course the highlight of the magazine is the clone recipe for Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. 9% ABV, 90 IBU kickbutt beer. I had a few of these at the NHB conference and it knocked my socks off. Very good brew.

several of my friends have brewed the 90 Minute clone from BYO, and it's tasty, tasty! it just takes too much grain for my 5 g cooler for me to be able to brew! :mad: give it a whirl (i'm sure it's the same one. Sam Caglione (?) of Ddogfish Head was the one who submitted the BYO version, so it's close). the rare hops they use are just hard to find in my neck of the woods, unless we order them from another brew shop on the web(boo-hiss-booo!).

DeRoux's Broux said:
several of my friends have brewed the 90 Minute clone from BYO, and it's tasty, tasty! it just takes too much grain for my 5 g cooler for me to be able to brew! :mad: give it a whirl (i'm sure it's the same one. Sam Caglione (?) of Ddogfish Head was the one who submitted the BYO version, so it's close). the rare hops they use are just hard to find in my neck of the woods, unless we order them from another brew shop on the web(boo-hiss-booo!).

I was only aware fo the Dogfish Midas Touch recipe from BYO...I just went and searched the archive for the 90 minute IPA and can't find it...I'd like to compare them. You know where your friends got it?

yea, it was in BYO a few months back. they did an issue on 13 hoppy beer clones (90 minute ipa, hop rode rye, ruination ipa, pliney the elder ipa, racer 5 ipa, elissa ipa, etc.). i have it at home and i'll grab it at lunch. i'll post it when i get back. no biggie at all.

Back