Purging rules of thumb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just took delivery of my kegging setup and will be getting my CO2 tank filled tomorrow. I have been reading tons of very helpful threads about CO2 and racking beer and purging, etc., but I was hoping someone could give me some basic rules of thumb on the keg purging process specifically?

When people say purge to clear O2 from the headspace, for example, how long do they typically mean? A quick pull or a longer hold? Is there a way to tell when you are through purging O2 and start purging CO2? And do you need to purge pressure before connecting/disconnecting gas or liquid lines? Sorry for the super-simple questions but I'm new to this pressurized stuff and don't want to do something stupid. Thanks in advance.

Just give the pressure release valve a few quick bursts when you give it gas the first time

Is there a way to tell when you are through purging O2 and start purging CO2?
No
And do you need to purge pressure before connecting/disconnecting gas or liquid lines?
It is a good idea before connecting the gas line.

Yea, its hard to tell. As long as you rack into your keg while its blanketed with CO2 you have even less O2 to worry about. A little O2 is really not going to do any harm, just give it a few pulls and good will triumph over evil... or something like that.

I like to purge 3 times if I'm force carbing within the next couple of days. Hook up the gas line, hit it with 25-30#, shut gas off, pull release valve until there is no more hissing. Repeat 3 times then on the last one, hit it with 15# and don't release any pressure. Chill the keg for a least 8 hours (overnight) with 15# on it and the gas disconnected. Then when you are ready to force carb, pick your method and hope for the best!!!

Back