How to Triple Hop a Miller Lite Clone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, you guys are all way off on the triple hops. It's not about when you add the hops - its more about what the hops do to the beer. For example:

First Step - FLAVOR. Or in other words, HAPPY TOWN. That's right. HAPPY TOWN. Screw bittering or aroma hops. These hops are for HAPPY TOWN. Better aks somebody.

Second Step - BALANCE. "You appreciate a good body. So you're welcome". I can't beleive that this isn't a sticky - to balance the beer you need to add hops for body... wait... I'm confused.

Final Step - LOCK IN - Something we homebrewers haven't learned yet is how to create a GREAT TASTE by using LOCK IN HOPS (not to be confused with great flavor in step one. Tase and flavor are different. Try to keep up). This is a secret trick learned by Miller brewers taught only to a select few who climb to the eastern peak of everest to pick a blue flower and return to tibetan monks. This knowledge is of a secret lock in hop frozen in the artic ice cap. They don't grow any more, but if you can get one and use in your beer - it will yield a ROCKIN BEER MUSTACHE, which in the end is what Miller Lite is all about my friends.

I can't believe that sucker is still crankin' after adding the hops & amylase!!!

Not to mention that I needed a blow-off. I had at least 1" of space in carboy and it blew through the airlock.

This sucker is still crankin' at 7 days in the 2ndary? Its taking a long time for 9 points. Ah, maybe not. Right now its as clear as can be.

Smelled the airlock..... awesome smelling cascade! :rockin:

2009_ML_Tripple_Hop_006.jpg

OK - I have a glass of flat Miller Lite Tripple Hopped with Cascade. Its pretty much what you would expect watery and extremely light. Without a doubt it has a very noticeable hop aroma, which is citrusy. The corn flavor I mentioned earlier is now completely gone. You wouldn't know it has any corn in this recipe. There is only a slight bitterness from the hops, but this beer is also SUPER DRY at 1.001. The only taste in this beer is the hops. - Which is fine by me.

I just kegged it and its getting about 12psi at about 42F. Now to wait and see what happens as it carbs. I appreciated venting this keg, the cascade blast was a bit refreshing.

I am rather pleased with this so far. Looks like a Chardonnay in this wine glass. Its very clear. What little taste it has is good (has no flaws), smells pretty good, should be a good hot weather quaffer. Not to mention its really damn cheap.
$8.36 Grain
$2.50 Hops (I also used homegrown hops)
$1.50 Yeast
$12.36 Total for this beer.

$12.36 Total for this beer.

Aaaaaand now you know why they push this stuff so hard. If you could make it for $2.50 per gallon, you know the big brewers can make it for $1 per gallon- or LESS. Now that is some profit margin, even when the 30 pack cans are on special...

What kind of yeast did you end up going with....my guess is Safale - 05 just looking at your price for yeast. Also what temp did you ferment at...this could be a good SWMBO beer for me.

What kind of yeast did you end up going with....my guess is Safale - 05 just looking at your price for yeast. Also what temp did you ferment at...this could be a good SWMBO beer for me.

I used S-05 and fermented 65-68F. Using amylase enzyme (in the 2ndary) to dry this out to 1.000. Its not a lager yeast but its gonna be so light and dry nobody will notice or care.

Aaaaaand now you know why they push this stuff so hard. If you could make it for $2.50 per gallon, you know the big brewers can make it for $1 per gallon- or LESS. Now that is some profit margin, even when the 30 pack cans are on special...

I worked for a concert arena a couple years back (maybe 10 now...yikes), and we were paying <$10 per 1/2 keg for Bud/Bud Light, so they're probably doing $.25/gal or lower.

We were buying about three hundred kegs a night, IIRC.

Here's a picture of the beer. Its got the citrus smell & taste of cascade. A notable grapefruit-like taste. Pretty much the only taste. This beer is really different than miller lite or the average hoppy pale ale. The flavor is all hops virtually no malt character to speak of when I drank this. It a very thirst quenching beer. I think the average BMC person would NOT appreciate the hops but I might be wrong. Its got hop flavor & aroma without any bitterness.

Despite all the condensation on the glass, this beer very clean and clear.

MLC_002.jpg

I had two of these for lunch... easy quaffers they are... :rockin: Almost too easy.

Gotta go try the one made with German hops...(hallertauer, tettnanger, perle, spalt) A buddy made the same but used all leftover German hops.

Damn just as good...

John D------ /Mark F------

"Triple Hopped" Miller Lite Clones

60 Minutes, 0 Minutes, & Dry
Happy Town, You Like Body, The Lock-in
  1. Tastes Great - (Iowa Cascade) John's
  2. Less Filling - (German Nobles) Mark's
  3. Apfelwein - (German Cider) John's

Anybody bored enough to try this recipe???

Miller Lite Clone - Tripple Hopped - AG

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-A American Ale, American Pale Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 54
Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 5.50
Anticipated OG: 1.030 Plato: 7.68
Anticipated SRM: 2.0
Anticipated IBU: 17.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 18.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.85 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.022 SG 5.64 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
36.4 2.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
31.8 1.75 lbs. Pale Malt(6-row) America 1.035 2
31.8 1.75 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.60 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 17.0 60 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade - Iowa Whole 5.75 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade - Iowa Whole 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Tsp Amylase Enzyme Other 14 Days(2ndary fermenter)

Yeast
-----

I used S-05 since I don't want to lager now.

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 5.50
Water Qts: 5.50 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 1.38 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 147 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 175 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 175 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 1.82 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Notes
-----

The amylase enzyme goes in the 2ndary

W......T.......F is up with that video. I can't count how many people have tried talking about hops since they started using that slogan.

I've been kicking htis one around for a while now.. I finally picked up the needed ingredients.

I'll be using 2-row, 6-row and the flaked maize. My hops for 11 IBUs will be:
Mt Hood @FWH
Mt Hood @60
Mt Hood @5
(The Mt Hood's are home Grown...)

Yeast I'm either doing Us-05 or Cry Havoc.

My question is water. With such a large grain bill I'm not sure I can fit all the grain and water in my keggle mashtun... so I was thinking I should use RO water with all the minerals removed, that should allow me to fit in my keggle mashtun...

What do ya think, RO water?

Your sarcasm about the mash tun is killing me. :D Don't use RO. You need some minerals.

I would use charcoal filtered tap water or boiled. Anything dechlorinated would work. You can fill the hlt 24-48 hours beforehand and let it sit. It will flash out of the water by itself.

Your sarcasm about the mash tun is killing me. :D

I hear ya, now about the Mash tun concerns.... The Keggle with my valve's positioning needs a good 3 Gallons to get a proper flow. I didn't have enough grain to do this with a 1.25 : 1 ratio. I should be good with a 10 gallon batch... I might just do the brew in a bag for this one...

Here's my update... Done, kegged and GONE! With a follow up question: "When are you going to make this again?"

Heres what I did:

Js Jiller Lite Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.74 gal
Estimated OG: 1.030 SG
Estimated Color: 2.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 11.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.20 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 36.36 %
1.93 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 31.82 %
1.93 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 31.82 %
0.43 oz Mt. Hood [6.50 %] (60 min) 5.5 IBU
0.21 oz Mt. Hood [6.50 %] (60 min) 5.5 IBU
0.55 oz Mt. Hood [6.50 %] (5 min) -
1.10 tsp Amylase Enzyme (Secondary 7.0 days)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 6.05 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 7.56 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 4.84 qt of water at 200.2 F 168.0 F

My FG was 1.006 when racked to secondary. After the Amylase addition I went to 1.000.

Admittedly the wort came up exactly 1 gallon short, but BeerSmith's dilution calculator showed spring water would bring my FG gravity on target FG.

:mug:

Thanks for the Amylase idea...

Put this recipe together for 3 gal batch

2 pound 2 ounces two row
One pound 6 row
One pound flaked corn

Irish moss

I have safale 05

And going to use hallertau at 10 mins

Then dry hop

My question is can I put the AE in the primary fermenter after seven days instead on transfer to secondary

Put this recipe together for 3 gal batch

2 pound 2 ounces two row
One pound 6 row
One pound flaked corn

Irish moss

I have safale 05

And going to use hallertau at 10 mins

Then dry hop

My question is can I put the AE in the primary fermenter after seven days instead on transfer to secondary

Yes - But part of the reason is for racking off sediment. I recomend posting in my main thread. See link below.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/miller-lite-really-triple-hopped-123937/

This thread is older than dirt. The other thread has had several people make this with good results. At the cost of about 25 cents a beer.

Worth noting, the caveate is you like light beer and don't mind spending time making something that's easy enough to buy.

Here is how you triple hop a Miller Light clone.

Do the usual expected mash with your corn, rice, and a little bit of barley.

When you get to the 1st and ONLY hop addition, count out 5 pellets of Chinook. Pitch those in and you're done. Triple hopped Miller.

Edit: I was corrected by someone at home. I made an error.

Count out 6 pellet of Chinook. Not 5, but 6.

Here is how you triple hop a Miller Light clone.

Do the usual expected mash with your corn, rice, and a little bit of barley.

When you get to the 1st and ONLY hop addition, count out 5 pellets of Chinook. Pitch those in and you're done. Triple hopped Miller.

Edit: I was corrected by someone at home. I made an error.

Count out 6 pellet of Chinook. Not 5, but 6.

Actually its only corn, unless you want bud light. You need the barley to be half 6-row for the 30% adjunct and the other 2 row. The hop should be German or Czech. You sound half serious and half sarcastic. The amount of Chinook might be enough to hit 16-18 IBU. LOL

Check out the other thread. I really did the 3 hop additions. 60, 5 and dry. With German Hops and Cascade. Cascade on this light of a beer is brisk. Something of an oddity for a light beer. The fact that hops is noticeable in a light beer.

Actually its only corn, unless you want bud light. You need the barley to be half 6-row for the 30% adjunct and the other 2 row. The hop should be German or Czech. You sound half serious and half sarcastic. The amount of Chinook might be enough to hit 16-18 IBU. LOL

You picked up on my sarcasm quickly. I was only half-way being serious about that. I imagined that a few pellets of Chinook would be equal to a triple amount of hops would be in a Miller Light clone. You caught me. I was being sarcastic in my reply. Although, I suspect that if my advise is followed it would be a better beer than Miller Light and their supposed "Triple hopping". Or in the least case, it would be equal in quality. It really is easy to not go wrong when the bar is set so low.

On an honest note. I love Chinook hops. They really have a nice earthy flavor when used in an early addition. Use enough, and you just might taste it. I bet Miller never thought of that. For that matter, most of the BMC beers have never thought of that. Hops that you can taste.......a whole new idea.

Back