So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sparging Scottish -80/ now. Using heather tips for the first time, anyone have any advice as to the best time to add them to the boil and amount? Thanks, cheers Kev

Light rye ale boiling away right now. Sparge sucked at the end but I got my pre boil vol so all is good. 80% efficiency on the mash too...

Building up a wheat starter today. Tomorrow I'll be hittin' it with a Grodziskie (Polish-style smoked ale...3hr mash and 2hr boil!) for the Iron Brewer. Once the mash is sparged, the tun'll be cleaned out and reloaded for a dunkelweizen, which should end its sparge around the time my kettle has emptied the grodziskie wort for chilling.

Rye Pale/IPA this morning. First partial mash. Woke my wife up "because of the smell." I am now brewing only when she's not in the house.

Brewed up a dry stout today. I missed brewing last weekend, and I'm busy enough that I might have to skip brewing next weekend, too. Let's hope not!

Brewing an IIPA. Steeping away!

ForumRunner_20120826_164334.jpg

Working on perfecting my lathering for Drei Konige Marzen for the fall. Also did Rake Fight Irish Red Ale this weekend. Bumped up all the recipes mash temp so my beers aren't as watery/alcoholic.

And bottled about four cases. I really need to start kegging.

Brewed a pumpkin honey porter last night and it's bubbling away in the primary right now. Smells wonderful :)

NervousDad said:
Ended up brewing a Centennial IPA. One of my hop packets had two ounces instead of one. You would have thought I hit the lottery I was so happy.

I'd be the same way! Hops smell so dang good.

will be doing 9 gallons of sweet stout through mash, then splitting into two boil kettles - a vanilla bean milk chocolate stout and a vanilla bean pumpkin stout (possibly with maple added). still working on figuring out the spices to add to the pumpkin, the milk stout is a repeat that was amazing! :)

Batch Size: 9.00 gal
Brewer: Gaslight Brewery
Boil Size: 11.40 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 6.90 %
18.00 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 62.07 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.90 %
2.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.90 %
1.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
1.00 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
1.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
62.10 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.3 IBU
31.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Vanilla bean (Primary 0.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.00 oz Cocoa powder (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
3.75 lb Spiced Pumpkin Pie Mix (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 3.45 %

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.068 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.57 %
Bitterness: 22.7 IBU
Est Color: 42.5 SRM

Doing a longer boil on the mild since I missed my pre-boil OG again! I dont know what what Im doing wrong at this point, but thats 2 batches in 6 days that have come in low. Time to start reading, I guess.

I'm brewing my first trippel. This is only my second batch of beer. My first was a few weeks ago, Autumn Amber Ale from extract. It's in 53 bottles now and tasted great before bottling. I'll let this trippel rest for a month or so before bottling. I can't wait to taste the finished product. Wish me luck.

DankHead said:
Doing a longer boil on the mild since I missed my pre-boil OG again! I dont know what what Im doing wrong at this point, but thats 2 batches in 6 days that have come in low. Time to start reading, I guess.

I'm having the same problem, the only thing I can point to is the crush. I just ordered the mm2 from Midwest. I use RO and monitor PH and my thermometers are calibrated. I will be running some tests when the mill arrives.

Using a bunch of leftovers, I'm brewing a bitter this weekend. Appropriately named "vestigial better"...

Bryan

May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose - American Pale on deck for Monday.
Basic APA with Grains of Paradise, honey malt and Citra hops.

Maybe. Now that I've bottled my oatmeal stout I have two empty fermenters. I don't think I can waste an opportunity like a three day weekend by not brewing. Not sure what I would brew, though, since I wasn't planning on brewing (didn't realize it was labor day weekend until yesterday). I've been meaning to brew some kind of SMaSH, so maybe I'll get on that. 2-row/Cascade sounds like it would be good.

A fellow from one of my homebrew clubs (Midnight Homebrew League) is doing an all-grain demonstration Saturday, and I'm hoping to brew an IPA tomorrow if I'm feeling decent enough after the foot surgery today.

Will be bottling the Amber and hopefully will also be brewing a nice Smoked Porter while drinking Stone Smoked Porter for inspiration. No sense in having an empty carboy, am I right?

Bottling Lil Sparky's Nut Brown, moving our ESB to secondary, and brewing Double Dach's Founders Breakfast Stout clone! All in one day. WEEEE!

Kids are back in school and I have my Monday brew day back! I'm doing a Southern Tier Mocha Stout Clone and then next Monday Firestone Walker Double Jack. Its going to be a great fall!

Change of plans...only brewing 5 gallons of American Red. Inaugural 10 gallon batch will have to be smaller than what I had planned until I do a keg-mash tun conversion. I have one unproven process/equipment change since last brew. Need to prove that first anyway.

Planning on brewing up Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale with homegrown Cascade hops for flavor and aroma. About time those hop plants pay off after 2 years of tender loving care!

My Fresh Hop American Amber is boiling away. Using my Newport, Summit, Glacier, and Cascade fresh hops. This year's drought really cut down my yield.

Latest posts

Back