I love Rampant IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WDT

Reaction score
I can't get enough of this stuff... I believe I taste simcoe in the finish, maybe some cascade. Does anyone have any ideas on making a clone?

Thanks, didn't check the obvious I guess.

They probably use corn sugar or something to dry it out as much as it is.

So mosaic, calypso, centennial.

Probably bittered with the first two as well as heavy late and dry hops. Modest dose of Centennial in the late addition and dryhop.

I was quite impressed with this beer too. I saw a couple of grocery stores here that are carrying it had it the same price as other NB beers. One grocery store here puts NB on sale for 4.99/6-pack at least a couple times a year, so I think I know what I'll buy a case of the next time that comes up.

I love how this beer tastes like a big fruity mess. Peaches, citrus and dry - just a great beer. I love O'dell's myrcenary, but a four pack for over 10 bucks just isn't as good a deal.

Cheers!

over easter i had both rampant and ranger. gotta say that i preferred the ranger. maybe i got a bad batch, or it wasn't sufficiently fresh, but i thought the rampant was too sweet. i didn't get the mosaic hops at all, and it's one of my favorites (it goes into all my IPAs).

i really liked the chinook flavors in the ranger.

Probably bittered with the first two as well as heavy late and dry hops. Modest dose of Centennial in the late addition and dryhop.

it would be kinda silly of them to bitter with an expensive hop like mosaic. i would suspect that they bitter with calypso only.

Does anyone else get a HUGE floral nose from Rampant? I don't dislike it--in fact, Sweetcell, you can any Ranger that might have been fated for me b/c I don't care for it--I just can't believe how it smells like sweet wildflowers. Tried two bottles so far... both the same.

over easter i had both rampant and ranger. gotta say that i preferred the ranger. maybe i got a bad batch, or it wasn't sufficiently fresh, but i thought the rampant was too sweet. i didn't get the mosaic hops at all, and it's one of my favorites (it goes into all my IPAs).

You got a bad batch, I picked up a six of it a week or two ago which was sitting outside the cold case. It was mostly malt sweetness with a hint of it's aroma. A fresh bottle has a huge stone fruit nose and a good amount of hop flavor.

Never had it, but I'm going to try to clone it for you from reading reviews and posts. What fun!

I'd say the floral notes are Centennial, as they are famous for that character.

I keep hearing the beer is very peachy/fruity, which sounds like a bunch of Mosaic. From drinking a Mosaic SMaSH, Mosaic has tons of peach and blueberry. I think WDT may have gotten too old of a bottle.

Calypso is very candy-like, Watermelon/Apple Jolly Rancher, pear, etc, My guess is Calypso is the bittering charge, maybe a 15/30 minute addition. The market on them is REALLY cooling off as they are really cloying/weird.

So, let's start with a base of 2-row, and a touch of C-120.. regardless of whether they claim they use it, some reviews show up some toffee notes. Going to throw in a few ounces of Biscuit for a little breadiness/malt. We can work back on the attenuation, building a 8.5% ABV and then measuring the attenuation through the calories listed.

Listed at 70% efficiency, add/subtract base malt as needed. 5 gallon batch.

14.5 LBs 2-Row
3 oz C-120
3 oz Biscuit
8 oz Dextrose

1.0 oz Calypso @ 60 Minutes
1.0 oz Calpyso @ 20 Minutes
1.0 oz Centennial @ 10 Minutes
1.0 oz Mosaic @ 5 Minutes
1.0 oz Mosaic @ Knockout
1.0 oz Centennial @ 7 Days
1.0 oz Mosaic @ 7 Days

you need 80-82% attenuation to nail the numbers. Mash lower, ie 148-150 for 75 minutes if using US-05. Use 05, not 1056, as the S-05 carries some nice peach esters at 60-65 F. You really need to ferment at that temp.

The hop bill might need a little adjustment, but it's got the right idea. Maybe dry-hopping with .5 oz Centennial/.5 oz Calypso, but up to you.

Cool thanks!

Black malt is listed in the malts. I feel with 85 IBUs, i'd shift the hop profile around.

S-05 is a great idea, ferment it cooler than normal. Probably want it to finish out under 1.010 if possible. This thing has a huge aroma to it too. I think maybe doubling the dry hop would be in order.

I've never had calypso hops before, but i've tasted mosaic (or what I thought to be) in the new SA Latitude 48. Very fruity.

I took your malt bill and tweaked it a bit and your hop schedule.

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable Bill %
14 lb American - Pale 2-Row 91.4%
2 oz American - Black Malt 0.8%
1 lb Corn Sugar - Dextrose 6.5%
3 oz Belgian - Biscuit 35 1.2%

15.31 lb Total

Hops
Amount Variety Time
1 oz Calypso 90 min
0.5 oz Calypso 20 min
0.5 oz Centennial 20 min
1 oz mosaic 20 min
1 oz mosaic 0 min
1 oz Calypso 0 min
1 oz mosaic 7 days
0.5 oz Calypso 7 days
0.5 oz Centennial 7 days

I have a few bottles at home, i will degas some and figure out what the final gravity is on this thing to work backwards a little better.

I guess I am going to have to give this one another try. I must have had a bad batch. The sixer I had of it was some of the most rancid, wet-hay tasting crap I have ever had.

I can't get enough of this stuff... I believe I taste simcoe in the finish, maybe some cascade. Does anyone have any ideas on making a clone?

You aren't terribly far from Knee Deep Brewing. Score yourself some hoptologist or simtra, and you will be in love. Rampant is one of the better beers that NB has put out(imo) but those two will blow you away.

You aren't terribly far from Knee Deep Brewing. Score yourself some hoptologist or simtra, and you will be in love. Rampant is one of the better beers that NB has put out(imo) but those two will blow you away.

Simtra and Hoptologist are amazing. I bought a couple bottles the other day. It's pricey but worth it.

Never had it, but I'm going to try to clone it for you from reading reviews and posts. What fun!

I'd say the floral notes are Centennial, as they are famous for that character.

I keep hearing the beer is very peachy/fruity, which sounds like a bunch of Mosaic. From drinking a Mosaic SMaSH, Mosaic has tons of peach and blueberry. I think WDT may have gotten too old of a bottle.

Calypso is very candy-like, Watermelon/Apple Jolly Rancher, pear, etc, My guess is Calypso is the bittering charge, maybe a 15/30 minute addition. The market on them is REALLY cooling off as they are really cloying/weird.

So, let's start with a base of 2-row, and a touch of C-120.. regardless of whether they claim they use it, some reviews show up some toffee notes. Going to throw in a few ounces of Biscuit for a little breadiness/malt. We can work back on the attenuation, building a 8.5% ABV and then measuring the attenuation through the calories listed.

Listed at 70% efficiency, add/subtract base malt as needed. 5 gallon batch.

14.5 LBs 2-Row
3 oz C-120
3 oz Biscuit
8 oz Dextrose

1.0 oz Calypso @ 60 Minutes
1.0 oz Calpyso @ 20 Minutes
1.0 oz Centennial @ 10 Minutes
1.0 oz Mosaic @ 5 Minutes
1.0 oz Mosaic @ Knockout
1.0 oz Centennial @ 7 Days
1.0 oz Mosaic @ 7 Days

you need 80-82% attenuation to nail the numbers. Mash lower, ie 148-150 for 75 minutes if using US-05. Use 05, not 1056, as the S-05 carries some nice peach esters at 60-65 F. You really need to ferment at that temp.

The hop bill might need a little adjustment, but it's got the right idea. Maybe dry-hopping with .5 oz Centennial/.5 oz Calypso, but up to you.

Ok, I like your malt bill. Until I find out what malts they actually use I will stick to it.

I degassed a sample and took the gravity of it.. 1.012.

So that means with 8.5% ABV it starts out at roughly 1.077 with 84% attenuation or so.

With that in mind:

70% Efficiency
5.5 Gallon batch (net 5-ish in the fermenter)

13.25lbs 2row
4oz Biscuit
4oz C120L
1.5lbs Dextrose

Hops

1 oz Calypso 90 min
0.5 oz Calypso 20 min
0.5 oz Centennial 20 min
1 oz mosaic 20 min
1 oz mosaic 0 min
1 oz Calypso 0 min
1 oz mosaic 7 days
0.5 oz Calypso 7 days
0.5 oz Centennial 7 days

Mash it low and slow, 148 for 75-90min, single infusion.

Pitch 1.5-2 packs S-05 rehydrated and ferment at 62-64F.

Just tried one of these today. It was great. I love the Mosaic hop. Hadn't tried anything with Calypso yet. Just read an article on those 2 new hops and wanted to do something with them. Might try this recipe.

I despise this beer! I'm a huge hop head and this is the only imperial ipa I have not liked. I had to pour it. The should have named it rancid because it tastes like rotten garbage. .. I know I got it fresh .. but maybe I should try it again. . Meh

I guess I am going to have to give this one another try. I must have had a bad batch. The sixer I had of it was some of the most rancid, wet-hay tasting crap I have ever had.

+1 I had it fresh when it was first released and expected great things. I love NB but was very very disappointed!

Yes this is a great beer. I get some smokiness flavor out of it. I was thinking it was so unique it had to be the mosaic and calypso, which I've never experienced before

I bought a 6 pack a couple months ago. Way too sweet for me and had a really funky aroma...not in a good way.

I just bought a case of this today. I thought it was one of the best imperial IPAs I've had in a long time. I like that I can distinctly taste the hops, almost like I'm smelling a packet of hops I cut open on a brew day. The peach tones the label describes are also nice.

I would to brew a clone of this beer. Did anyone try the recipes posted in this thread?

+1 I had it fresh when it was first released and expected great things. I love NB but was very very disappointed!

I didn't think it tasted like wet hay, but more orange marmalade, like the orange stuff that you find in chocolates or like an orange tootsie pop. I think that's the character of the Calypso hops, all the way. I did not like it.

I don't understand the negativity. I specifically came here looking for this recipe because I absolutely love this beer!

Guess I'll keep looking.

I have searched for a clone recipe to no avail. This is a beer I would love to recreate. I'm subbing and still looking myself. I would... not... =) be against trying a recipe out and leaving feedback

I don't understand the negativity.
it's a polarizing beer. some folks love it, others really really don't like it. do you have trouble accepting that some people have a radically different opinion than yours? :mug:

I would be against trying a recipe out and leaving feedback

???

that's a strange thing to say....

I bought some by mistake last year. I thought I was reaching for Ranger IPA, turned out to be Rampant. Loved it!

I like both Ranger and Rampant. Rampant is my favorite of the two though. Their Winter Seasonal "Accumulation White IPA" is pretty tasty also. For me, those are some of NB's best brews.

FWIW, I would have to claim Firestone Walker's Double Jack IIPA as my favorite with Alaskan HopoThermia coming in second and probably Rampant as a close third.

it's a polarizing beer. some folks love it, others really really don't like it. do you have trouble accepting that some people have a radically different opinion than yours? :mug:
Yes, while I understand that different people like different things, it's hard for me to believe that some people think this tastes like wet hay (or whatever it was posted above).

I mean, there are some beers that I'd give 1 star to on Untappd, but you won't find me making barf sounds and insulting peoples' mothers over them.

Yes, while I understand that different people like different things, it's hard for me to believe that some people think this tastes like wet hay (or whatever it was posted above).

I mean, there are some beers that I'd give 1 star to on Untappd, but you won't find me making barf sounds and insulting peoples' mothers over them.

My apologies if my description of what I thought it tasted like offended you. But, the initial time I tried it - it tasted like wet hay to me. Exactly like wet hay. Maybe next time I will be more positive with my reviews of beers as to not offend those who might enjoy them. :confused:

Yum....gotta get me summa-dat sticky icky goodness. Reminded me of puffin on a dank nug of peaches chronic. Those who know....know

Back