Golden Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolphy

Reaction score
So I picked up a partial mash kit for a golden strong ale. I plan on doing a starter yeast and I have a temperature controlled fermentation chamber. The guy at my LHBS said to start it at 65 degrees and increase the temperature by 1 degree a day until it hits about 70.

He also said that this beer needs to age longer. How long do you guys think it should stay in the fermentation bucket after the gravity has stopped changing? Also, how long should i bottle condition them for? I've read at least a couple of months.

Anything else I should be aware of?

It should rise to 70 pretty easily on its own.

How long will depend on the yeast type. Of course it can vary from batches. Extra time is always good. Don't rush it and don't try to keep the temp low. The yeast might stall

your lhbs guy gave you good advice. I would do staggered sugar additions. If your recipe has some candy sugar like some strong golden ales do I would add maybe a pound a couple days after fermentation has started and another addition a couple days after that.

I have a golden strong ale I'm drinking now that was in primary for 6 weeks and then aged in a carboy for about another month before bottling. All in all it was 77 days from brew day to bottling, and as soon as it was carbed up, it was delicious.

I have a golden strong ale I'm drinking now that was in primary for 6 weeks and then aged in a carboy for about another month before bottling. All in all it was 77 days from brew day to bottling, and as soon as it was carbed up, it was delicious.

This is basically what I did with mine. Primary for about a month and a half then bulk age for a bit. I did mine for 2 months. IIRC There are some arguments that it is better to bulk age then to age in bottles.

If I bulk age after say, 6 weeks in the primary, how important is the temperature during the aging process? Reason being is that my fermentation chamber can only fit 1 carboy/bucket at a time and I will want to brew something else while it ages.

Generally speaking, temperature is not as important once the fermentation is complete. I bulk age in a dark closet at room temperature all the time - including the golden strong I was talking about earlier. That closet stays between 72-78 year round.

But you don't want to let it get too warm. For example, I would never bulk age in my pantry because it gets to 85 in there easily during the day.

What's the ambient temperature of the room you'll be storing it in?

What's the ambient temperature of the room you'll be storing it in?

Well fall's upon us soon so it should be in the 70s in my closet. I'll probably get a carboy as a secondary and throw it in there.

So the Golden Strong Ale has been in the primary for 15 days. OG was 1.072 and today it measured 1.006. I let it rise from 65 to 75 degrees by increasing the temperature 1 degree a day. Tastes great, a hint of alcohol bite but not bad and not sweet at all. The dude at the LHBS said once it's done fermenting to cold crash it at about 35 degrees. I'm going to measure again tomorrow to see where it's at.

Does this sound like a good idea? If so, how long should it cold crash for? Also, if I do cold crash it, should I then let it warm up to room temperature when I bottle?

Thanks

Make sure your SG readings are 3 days apart, to ensure that fermentation has actually completed. You can cold crash, but if you're not fanatical about clarity, it's not very necessary. After you cold crash, just pull your carboy out and put it wherever you're going to rack from. Once the yeast has settled back down a little (shouldn't take very long if it has crashed long enough), you can go ahead and rack on top of the priming sugar in your bottling bucket.

Back