boiler heat exchanger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTbrew

Reaction score
I was walking through a construction site the other day and low and behold found what I think is a boiler heat exchanger. It looks just like a CFC but with the internal pipe being 1/2 and the external 3/4. then a gray foam wraped around that. I checked it for leaks and it seems to be intact. has anyone ever used one of these? or know anything about them? I'm in need of a new CFC and thought maybe this would work.

yes it's copper and the inside of the pipe looks perfect. no petina or corrosion. I usually use tabasco to clean the other copper I have (works awsome and is edible) I have to rinse for a while but atleast I know I wont kill anyone with cleaners. I may try recircing some for awhile to see what happens

It's probably had ethylene glycol running through it if it was used in a heat exchanger, at least that's what our system has in it. Not exactly the stuff you want to be drinking.

so ethylene glocol is not good but read this

If one has ingested ethylene glycol, give the person an alcoholic beverage while the paramedics arrive. Ethanol acts as a competitive inhibitor to the active site of the enzyme that converts ethylene glycol to its toxic metabolites. Once ethanol binds, the ethylene glycol is harmlessly excreted out of the body.

So since you are potentially contaminating beer with this... no problem!

Also I read that it takes about 2 tablespoons to kill someone (I've tasted antifreeze before and had no adverse affects, but I won't drink it).

So I think you are pretty darn safe rinsing it out with tabasco, (or a cleaner) and then with water. Also it would get diluted in 5 gal of beer.

Back