Halving a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtx

Reaction score
Hi all. I am new to home brewing. I just tasted my first batch. It wasn't very good but it did taste like beer, so Ill take it. Anyways, I am looking to half a recipes and i was wondering how you go about it? Is it even a good idea? Is everything proportional and I can just cut it all in half? Im looking to go from a 5 gallon batch to 2.5. Does this mean I need to use less yeast or boil the grains less? Im just looking for some general guidelines on cutting down recipes. Here is the 5 gallon recipe I am planning on halving, feel free to comment on the halving process as well recipe itself. Im open to criticism.

German Hefeweizen
Malt Base: 5 lbs Wheat Dry Malt Extract OR 6 lbs Wheat Liquid Malt Extract
Specialty Grains: 1 pound flaked oats
Hops: 1 oz Hallertau Hop Pellets(bittering)
Yeast: White Labs 300 Hefeweizen, Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan

Thanks,

Trevor

Cutting the recipe in half, for all ingredients except for the yeast, will work great. (Use the whole vial of yeast).

You still steep grains, boil, ferment, etc, all the same amount of time.

Sounds like you're taking the same path I did - I started with one MrBeer kit, then switched to half-recipes until my 5-gallon gear was complete. A lot of us started that way, actually.

So yeah, what Yooper said. Cheers!

Thank y'all! Im gonna head to the brew store in a few days and get started.

Trevor

Back