new ingredient: super glue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burro2882

Reaction score
Ok, today i came home and decided i would pop the airlock off my fermenter and quickly clean/sanitize and add fresh water to it. Its in day 2 of active bubbling and it was full of "blow off" gunk. (technical term?)

I use a 5 gal plastic bucket as a fermenter. i drilled out a hole in the lid and put a rubber cone shaped washer in it and the airlock fits snugly into the rubber cone shaped washer. I must've pushed a little too hard when putting the airlock back in (after cleaning it) and a crack split from the center hole out about 1 1/2 inches. :mad:

The hardware store is closed so i can't run out to buy a new lid so i grabbed the super glue, gave the crack a good spray of sanitizer, and when that dried I put a thin layer of super glue on the crack. As soon as that dried the airlock started bubbling again.

Anybody think that was a stupid thing to do?? Can a little bit of super glue fume hurt anything?? I couldnt smell the glue as i was putting it on so it shouldnt affect aroma much. Maybe im just being too paranoid.

i am just guessing it would be OK as long as it did not get in the beer.. super glue was designed to seal wounds on the battlefield so i done see a little bit of fums hurting much. but it is just a SWAG on my side
good luck
Steve

Yeah, I just read a nother thread about a roomate taking a dump next to the open fermenter that was by the toilet, and now im not too concerned about a little glue fumes. :D

Think it may have been an april fools post, but pretty entertaining tho.

As Steve pointed out you really can glue people back together with it, so I think your brew will be fine. I keep some surgical glue in the house and glue or coat stuff that band-aids aren't good for like knuckles and small lacerations, even the odd hangnail. It's brilliant, and as an added bonus it freaks people out a little.

Back