How long is a yeast starter good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiGladys

Reaction score
I just started using yeast starters with my last brew. This time, I made a starter on Friday night. I planned to brew on Saturday. Unexpectedly, my wife invited guests over, so I waited till today. Now, the water main on my street broke and I can't brew until it is fixed.

How long can my yeast starter sit fermenting and still be good for my brew?

maybe my opinion is wrong but the whole point of a starter is to make more yeast right. SO you have already made the yeast part. As long as you dont wait long enough for the yeast to die you are good. In other words it should be good for quite a long time. Correct me anyone if Im wrong.

I've read up to 3 days at room temp, longer if you put it in the fridge. I guess you can also pitch right out of the refrigerator with no problems (according to palmer)

I've left mine in the fridge a long time and had no problems. I always warm them to room temp before pitching.

Well, since you can't do the dishes, laundry, or wash SWMBO's car, you might as well go down to the local grocery and pick up 10 gal of spring water :) Make it 15 and it looks like you were just looking out for the drinking water of the family.:tank:

Back