Papazian vs. Palmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zixxer10R

Reaction score
Which is more highly regarded on this forum? Getting a book, probably kindle version for portability...wanna know which one is more highly regarded here. Adding the Basic Brewing DVDs as well. What say ya'll? :)

Quick search yielded no viable results, before you tirade.

Dunno about who's more highly regarded on the forum, but if you've never brewed before, Papazian all the way. Palmer's info may be better, but... I read the Papazian book, had a 1st batch in bottles and a 2nd in primary, then read the Palmer book and flipped out for a day or two about everything I wish I'd done differently :) Reading the Palmer book, it is too easy to let "the perfect become the enemy of the good." Papazian will make you feel confident and ready to brew -- even if you aren't really ready, but at some point you have to just jump in and do it, right?

Palmer's book will be of more use to you in the long run and will still hold your hand in the beginning. I do own both.

I've seen more people recommend Palmer on this forum and I definitely found How To Brew to be more straightforward. I read both when I started reading about brewing and thought The Complete Joy of Home Brewing was a fun read and worth the time, but as far as brewing instruction goes, How To Brew delivers the information more clearly and concisely IMO.

but as far as brewing instruction goes, How To Brew delivers the information more clearly and concisely IMO.

I agree with this, despite recommending Papazian above.

I guess if you could read the Palmer book and keep telling yourself, "Even if I screw up 75% of this stuff, I'll still have a drinkable beer," that would be the way to go. Like I say, just don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. The clarity and comprehensiveness of the Palmer book can be intimidating, since it's a near certainty you won't get everything right on the first try.

Palmer's book is like this: "It is important that you do X, and here are the specific reasons why, including some of the science behind it."

Papazian's book is like this: "Try to do X if you can, but if not... RDWHAHB."

I have both now, but started with the online version of Palmer's. I then purchased the physical copy. I still refer back to it every now and again. Bottom line, you won't go wrong with either.

They are probably equally highly regarded here. I own both books. How to Brew (by Palmer) is actually available online (online version) if you wish to give it a peruse.

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

I actually gave that one a good read. That's actually the reason i posted the topic. I'm not crazy about Palmer's writing style at the moment. I'm also hungry. And not drinking. Could be anything at this rate.

I think Charlie P's book is fine for starting out. It's a relaxing write up and his mantra of relaxing and having a homebrew really makes you think, "Hey, I can do this!" (and you CAN!)

Palmer's book has a more technical flavor, and I use it as a reference most of the time. However, it really doesn't offer the advice of everything is going to be ok, and might make you worry a bit more, like has been said. BUT - It has a bit more current information, and I think more of the science aspect, which really can make it useful for reference.

In the end, both are great starter books and will get you making beer. I would also recommend Homebrewing for Dummies. It's actually a very good homebrew book, and I think a mix between Papazian's personable approach, and Palmer's engineering approach.

EDIT - or, check your local library before buying. You may be able to get a look at a book there before dropping any money. What? A library? Yeah, it's a building that has a lot of books that you can borrow and return. Yep, for free! I know, right? Crazy. But yeah, call your city offices and see if they still have one in town. They may not all be extinct yet.

Well, this thread inspired me to go ahead and buy the 3rd edition Palmer book from Amazon. I'd read (most of) the online edition, and I'm starting to think it is worth it to have a print copy.

I'm not crazy about Palmer's writing style at the moment.

I prefer Papazian as a matter of style as well. A very laid-back introduction to homebrewing. I also agree with Homercidal's key points on the difference between the two.

I'm gonna be a rebel here and say I read both, but the book that really clicked with me was raidcal brewing by randy mosher. After you have the basic techniques down, I think that's the book that might really help you take it to the next level.

I'm gonna be a rebel here and say I read both, but the book that really clicked with me was raidcal brewing by randy mosher. After you have the basic techniques down, I think that's the book that might really help you take it to the next level.

As in, step away from clones and really dig in to custom recipes?

well pretty much everything. there's a whole section on mashing made easy, a whole mess of recipes, sections on a million different cool techniques as well as a whole lot of information about designing your own recipes, and even toasting malt, making your own crystal malt, and malting your own barley.

might i offer the advice of getting a hardcopy of whichever book you go for.
I've got papazian on paper, palmer online, and other non beer references on kindle and I hate trying to find stuff and read on the kindle. with the papazian, i've got it right there in front of me, with stickys in some cases and i dont have to worry about he batteries

Papazian's Joy of Homebrewing is more like reading a historical document to me. Many of the principals are relevant but some of the more current texts are better. A current version of How to Brew or even Brewing Classic Styles would be my recommendation.

Papazian is just a guy that I would love to have a beer with - reading his book you just get the impression that he really is one of those "it's all small stuff" kind of people. I think it's good for beginners to read that book and glean some of that zen-like calm about their brewing. But I also think Palmer has great information, he has a lot of small technical points in his book that are often overlooked but can really help you if you want to know more about what's happening with all of those different things you're putting into the beer.

Frankly, I think both are indispensable, but I invariably suggest Papazian as a first book - if for no other reason than for the person to understand what I mean by RDWHAHB.

I read Charlie P's book 3 or 4 times over the course of about 2 years while I slowly collected brewing equipment but I never actually had the confidence to jump in. The very day I found Palmer's online book I picked up the ingredients and made a damn fine beer.

I think How to Brew does a much better job of prioritizing the different factors of brewing. Reading Uncle Charlie instilled the RDWHAHB mentality but did not give me the concise technical outline I needed to feel confident. Looking back at the books now I see them as equally good but still find Palmer's book cleaner and more straightforward.

Papazian's Joy of Homebrewing is more like reading a historical document to me. Many of the principals are relevant but some of the more current texts are better. A current version of How to Brew or even Brewing Classic Styles would be my recommendation.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I mean...that Zapap lauter tun sounds silly now.

Palmer all the way.

I started w Charlie but I find palmer more current and less cheesy.

But, both will get you started.

I'm in the Papazian camp. That book came with my home brew kit and while most of it was like Latin or Greek initially, I certainly got the relax bit and enjoyed his style of empowerment. Plus, as others have mentioned, you can read How to Brew (1st Ed) online. Once you understand what's in the Papazian book and the online version of How to Brew, then get the latest edition. It won't make as much sense until then and I think Papazian will guide you in a bit better.

TO THE OP: If you get Palmer's book, DO NOT get it on KINDLE.

I bought it on kindle and it has more typos than ANY book I have ever read. I would say there is a typo every 4-5 pages, and some are in critical places. I demanded a refund from Amazon and went out and bought the paper book. Palmer's book is phenomenal, but he does make you think you screwed everything up if you've already brewed. As a person with a science background (took microbiology, biochemistry, etc... in college) I appreciated the science, and it almost felt like a review. lol

Haven't read the other, but I think my next brew book is "Designing Great Beers"

Papazian's book was the first book I bought and was a huge help. Have only read parts of Palmer's book online, but the info was helpful. So you could probably go with either one, or both if you have the time.

TO THE OP: If you get Palmer's book, DO NOT get it on KINDLE.

I bought it on kindle and it has more typos than ANY book I have ever read. I would say there is a typo every 4-5 pages, and some are in critical places. I demanded a refund from Amazon and went out and bought the paper book. Palmer's book is phenomenal, but he does make you think you screwed everything up if you've already brewed. As a person with a science background (took microbiology, biochemistry, etc... in college) I appreciated the science, and it almost felt like a review. lol

Haven't read the other, but I think my next brew book is "Designing Great Beers"

"Designing Great Beers" is great. I've formulated quite a bit of recipes using that one, and learned a lot about the process of making different styles of beers. Awesome book.

It depends on how you learn.
Palmer is technical. If you are brand new DO NOT read past the middle of the book. It will make your head swim. When you get the baics down the you can read through the rest of the book.
Charlie is WAY too cheesy for me.
I recommend Palmer over CHarlie and as soon as I got my thing down and got Designing Great Beers I moved on from both of them.

I think if you are brewing extract in the beginning, then Joy of Home Brewing is definitely the way to go. It gives great general information on all aspects of home brewing like ingredients, methodology, etc. Not to mention it makes home brewing a blast.

If you want to go all-grain and know the science which goes behind it all, in a hard copy form, then a copy How to Brew is the way to go. But hey, who doesn't want to know the lauter flow vectors of a lauter tun? I have both, along with Designing Great Beers.

Right, so some good advice for sure. I updated my original post with a thought request on James Spencer and Steve Wilkes "Basic Brewing" DVDs. Any thoughts on that one guys?

Back