Slow starting lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklotz

Reaction score
I'm brewing an AHS California Common ale kit. Kit came with SafLager S23 lager yeast. 16 hours in, I'm seeing almost no airlock activity. Is this a slow starting yeast? I usually get tons of activity 16 hours in with my ale yeast? I pitched on top of the foam (from aerating) - is it time to go in a give it a good stir or should I just leave it alone?

Oh, and I pitched it dry with no starter. Temp is a constant 66 deg. OG was 1.055 (despite the recipe calling for 1.045). It was an extract kit with 1/2 and 1/2 LME and DME.

I've never used that yeast- but I have made a ton of lagers and steam beers with other yeast strains.

First, DON'T stir it- just leave it alone. Secondly, lager yeast are bottom fermenting (ale yeasts are top fermenting) so you may or may not see a krausen.

In three days, if you don't see any activity you may need to do something. But until then, it's best to just wait it out.

You likely underpitched, a beer of that size with that yeast would require 2 packets. I used a single pack once and it took a week before fermentation took off and the diacetyl never did clear up.

Latest posts

Back