Hefe Concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfavors

Reaction score
Brewed up my first Hefe last night. Pitched at 64* with WY3068.
Based upon others' posts, I was expecting a fairly vigorous fermentation. Checked this morning and there is no activity. I know it was only about 8 hours, but others have reported vigorous results quickly.

I hope I just need to RDWHAHB, but I wanted to see how long before I should be concerned and consider re-pitching?

Thanks!

By activity I was talking about visual inspection in the primary. No little bubbles or foaming or anything. I actually didn't have the airlock on for fear of making a beer fountain. I am using a bucket primary, and I put a piece of saran wrap over the little hole for the airlock (figured C02 would push that away when ferm gets going).

I didn't us a starter but did agitate well for aeration. Probably just needs more time....

I think we need a sticky thread with one post in all caps "AIRLOCKS ARE PIECES OF PLASTIC, NOT A BEEROMETER"

i use to freak out to if there was no bubbles. If theres no bubbles dont worry. Your yeast is still working, just not producing enough co2 to bump your airlock. Just relax and take a hydrometer reading in a week

rfavors said:
By activity I was talking about visual inspection in the primary. No little bubbles or foaming or anything. I actually didn't have the airlock on for fear of making a beer fountain. I am using a bucket primary, and I put a piece of saran wrap over the little hole for the airlock (figured C02 would push that away when ferm gets going).

I didn't us a starter but did agitate well for aeration. Probably just needs more time....

I aerate the crap outa mine using same yeast had signs in 8 hours. It can have a slow take off. Dont worry just walk away from it.

I'd stick the airlock on it until it takes off. Even then only remove it if it gets real vigorous. better yet, get a piece if tubing that will fit the center post of the air lock. attach it and stick the other end of teh hose in a jug of sanitized water/starsan/idophor/whatever you want and it becomes a blow off tube

Back