Diacetyl Go Away!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierbrauer

Reaction score
I have a lager in secondary. It has gone through 2 weeks Primary, 72 hrs D-rest at 65-70F and is now lagering at around 50F. There is still a heavy presence of Diacetyl fruitiness in the beer. Will this go away with longer lagering or did I do something wrong??

Often any remaining diacetyl, after a d-rest, is cleaned up during carbonation and bottle conditioning. If you are tasting it while it still is lagering, just remember that your beer is still got a big journey to go through before it is drinkable. A lot of changes will occur in the bottle or keg after a few weeks.

This thread also has a lot of good information. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/pr...utter-please-70438/?highlight=hold+the+butter

I have a lager in secondary. It has gone through 2 weeks Primary, 72 hrs D-rest at 65-70F and is now lagering at around 50F. There is still a heavy presence of Diacetyl fruitiness in the beer. Will this go away with longer lagering or did I do something wrong??

Longer primary...

A long enough lagering phase should help out alot as well as long as the yeast don't go completely dormant. Given time the yeast should take care of the diacetyl itself.

Diacetyl is buttery, not fruity. Are you sure it's diacetyl? If so...

Keep in mind, you have to do the diacetyl rest before fermentation is done. If the yeast isn't active it won't eat up the diacetyl.

Raise the temp of the beer to 60-65F, pitch an actively fermenting starter into your beer. That should clear it up. If not, lather, rinse, repeat.

Back