Any Harmony One owners on tha' bier web?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been goofing around with mine getting it set-up and so far it's awesome. Haven't been able to play with it as I don;t have the room for the system set-up yet, thus neither are the components but, the capabilities of this remote are astounding.

While tweaking I realized taht I hadn;t used my system in so lon that I forgot what functions were available on the OEM remotes so I had to dig them out. Then I had to think about which ones I actually use so that my Harmony won't be cluttered with a bunch of useless crap.

So what is your experience?

I have a harmony 520, that I am trying to set up to be easy to use for my dad. Remotes pretty much completely puzzle him, and this is the simplest one i've seen so far, although Im still going to to have to make a cheat sheet for him ;)

How do you like the Harmony one? Want to trade it for a harmony 520 and some homebrew :) ?

I would love to get a harmony one, but there is no RF support. I have a harmony 890 to control my theater and it works great. The macros are awesome. I no longer have to tell my wife how to turn everything on to watch a DVD or watch TV.

I have a harmony 520, that I am trying to set up to be easy to use for my dad. Remotes pretty much completely puzzle him, and this is the simplest one i've seen so far, although Im still going to to have to make a cheat sheet for him ;)

How do you like the Harmony one? Want to trade it for a harmony 520 and some homebrew :) ?

Tempting ;)

But No!

I have sold and set-up a ton of 560's and 880's (basic set-up) but have not yet had the chance to use my One. So far, I am astounded at what is possible with it. My only dissapointment is that if I want it to control my light and fan I will nee an IR to RF converter. I may just do that tho'.

I have a Harmony 720 (I think, it's from Costco) and it works great with my Sony TV, Time Warner HD box, and Panasonic 5.1 Sound & DVD except when the kids are around. They can screw it up faster than you can pop a beer.

I would love to get a harmony one, but there is no RF support. I have a harmony 890 to control my theater and it works great. The macros are awesome. I no longer have to tell my wife how to turn everything on to watch a DVD or watch TV.

Are your components in another room or behind closed doors?

Not as ideal as an RF remote but there are IR>RF / RF>IR transmitters receivers available. I am looking into one of these to see if the transmitter can be used to control my RF ceiling fan and light. Doubt it tho'. Most likely on different frequencies. Or a different signal set.

Are your components in another room or behind closed doors?
Yes, my components are in a closet in the back of the room. Only the projector is component controlled by IR.

Not as ideal as an RF remote but there are IR>RF / RF>IR transmitters receivers available. I am looking into one of these to see if the transmitter can be used to control my RF ceiling fan and light. Doubt it tho'. Most likely on different frequencies. Or a different signal set.

The 890 does the first part of the bolded text and it comes with a dongle that does the RF>IR (the dongle is in my equipment closet). So really I guess the 890 prevents me from having and IR sensor at the front of my room.

I have a 880 and love it. The only issue I have is an issue with my tv not having discrete input codes for the inputs and Logitech even came up with a method to work around that.

Top notch in my book.

I've been out of the loop on these for a while. Do they have any model that is both RF and bluetooth for PS3? The RF is because my Denon receiver has a horrible IR reception cone and I'd rather not have to use an IR bouncer. I guess the most important thing would be blutooth for the PS3 because I just can't get the wife to learn how to control it with the dualshock.

I've been out of the loop on these for a while. Do they have any model that is both RF and bluetooth for PS3? The RF is because my Denon receiver has a horrible IR reception cone and I'd rather not have to use an IR bouncer. I guess the most important thing would be blutooth for the PS3 because I just can't get the wife to learn how to control it with the dualshock.

The 890 is RF and IR but I don't know of any remotes that support Bluetooth. Not saying they don't exist I just don't know of one. You might consider looking at the Phillips Pronto remote to see if it has native support for the PS3. I doubt it does (stupid Sony with their bluetooth).

At the least you could go with a Harmony remote of your liking (I suggested the 890 becasue it has the functionality and RF) and add to that one of these;

IR2BT Infrared-to-Bluetooth converter now on sale, PS3 owners rejoice - Engadget

An IR to Bluetooth converter but, problem is, that you'd have to have some codes to teach the remote (it is a learning remote but, again, it doesn't speak Bluetooth) and I am just not sure how you'd get them. Maybe Sony would help. Do you speak Japanese?

Maybe even try talking to Logitech.

I'm thinking that Logitech would do the market research and realize how many PS3s have been sold to people who primarily bought it as a BD player (like me). I know I'd pay and extra $25 for a universal that includes a blutooth transmitter in it. Waiting patiently... with my end table full of remotes. I do have a universal RF but I never found it to have the flexibility that allows me to replace my dishnetwork remote. All I use it for now is to power up the projector and HT receiver and control the sources and volume. Then I use the dish remote for channels and the PS3 controller for BD control. Not only that but my Denon doesn't do HDMI switching so I also need to hit the source buttons on the projector remote because I don't have any more learned button space on my older universal remote. Annoying.

Back