bottle cap question...need a quick response...today is bottling day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terfmop

Reaction score
I decided to try the O2 absorbing caps. I assumed that I would boil them prior to bottling just as I do with regular bottle caps. However, as I was browsing through "Homebrewing for Dummies", by Marty Nachel, he mentioned that your not supposed to boil these caps. Are these caps pre-sterilized? Is there something else I need to do with these caps prior to bottling??

Thanks for your help

Don't know whether they're pre-sterilized? Any exposure to air would soon knock that on the head after a while anyhow.

You could try sanatizing them in iodophor or star san (or whatever you use to sanatize).

When I use those type caps, I just soak them in sanitizer solution for a little while and then use them. I've never liked the idea of boiling caps. I'm always afraid the plastic will get too hot and melt.

I've boiled a lot of caps with no ill effects to the cap or the plastic, but I'm guessing something about boiling those particular caps will deactivate their oxygen absorbing nature. I would just dip them in a non-rinse like BlightyBrewer mentioned.

I use the diluted bleach solution when I do the sanitizing. Haven't used the no-rinse solutions.

I've been told that oxygen absorbing caps are activated by liquid and that if you sanitize them they are no different than regular caps.

Oxy caps or no oxy caps...boil or presanitize all. IMHO boiling does not destroy plastic seat, it only softens and allows better seal...boil quick or sanitize with your typical chemical..."don't worry" you can't go wrong. No issues in years...Cheers.

I don't know anything about oxygen absorbing caps, but I do know NOT to boil or even put the Coopers caps that fit on their PET bottles into very hot water. I found out the hard way on bottling day, when I steeped my caps in very hot water, and the blue plastic seals all warped badly and separated from the caps.

It was a lot of fun trying to keep the seals sanitary, while at the same time trying to unwarp them some by bending them back into shape and sticking them back into the caps. Ninety percent of the caps didn't seal on the first attempt. I had to use some regular soda bottle caps, which didn't have the same problem. They are made much better....

Good point with the PET caps...I don't use them but I agree that you'd not want to boil them up. As a note on my post, I don't boil caps for very long...a few minutes and then leave em in the hot water while I bottle. It seems to me that long boils for even standard metal caps would cause some damage. I'm sure there is a fine line between "soft" sanitized seal and a "blob of melted rubber". ;-)

Back