Midnight Sun Brewing co Oosik Amber recipe thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fall-line

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to find or create a clone of Midnight Sun Brewing Company's Oosik Amber. It's a very tasty Altbier style Amber that I enjoyed while in Alaska recently. It's similar in taste and body to it's local 'big brother' (Alaskan Amber), but with a distinct flavor and aroma which I believe is provided by a larger munich content.

Here is what their site says:
Oosik Amber Ale
5.0 % Alcohol By Volume

11 International Bittering Units (IBUs)

Oosik Amber Ale is a true German-style altbier, brewed with pale, Munich and crystal malts. Deep amber with copper highlights, Oosik sports a toasted and caramel malt profile, balanced by traditional noble hops. A special yeast strain ferments this ale at cooler lager temperatures, giving it a smooth malt character and a clean finish.

My thoughts were to start with a basic amber recipe and add a healthy amount of Munich malt. For hops I'm thinking Saaz for a aroma addition, perhaps Perle for bittering. As for the yeast I'd guess a 1056 or Pacman would give the qualities they are going for at a cooler ferment. I've had good results with pacman at 60ºF before..

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

I'd write them an email. Midnight Sun was pretty forthcoming with me every time i've been there, and i'd imagine they'll be helpful.

If you dont get a response, you could always write their former head brewer. He recently left Midnight Sun to form another place... Great Alaska Brewing or something like that. Its all Bret and Oak aged beers there.

Midnight Sun's house yeast is the Edinburgh strain, if I remember correctly, but I think Oosik used Kolsch yeast. Either way, their brewery doesnt have any lagering capabilities that i remember(although it seemed to be kept at about 60 degrees), and Oosik is one of the more distributed ones they make; that makes me think they have to brew it year round.

hope any of that mess helps!

Thanks for your thoughts - very helpful. I've emailed them. No response of yet, but I look forward to hearing what they have to say.

Just closing the loop here, they never did respond to my questions about the Oosik Amber. I've tried a few batches of 'Muniched up' Amber with a few different yeasts and have not really succeeded in reproducing this beer. I've made some pretty tasty beer in the process though so I'm satisfied. :)

Back