Not beer, but HBT-related

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birvine

Reaction score
So.

Last month I decided on a trip to Europe to cycle and sample the beer and wine. I bought a tablet comp to keep in touch with home and the world.

There I was at Pearson International Airport with people, security and such all around. I decided to check in on the HBT threads as I do at home. Was I thrilled to see a HUGE banner on the top of the page that splashed out in large font a very GUN-obvious website.

Definitely NOT cool. I am not opening up a gun/no gun debate - just warning people especially if they are in a security-paranoid country to keep your screen to yourself!

By the way, after the shock and quick hiding of the screen I kept off HBT until I was out of the airport!

B

I am a fan of firearms and the "FirearmsTalk" banner is displayed above my HBT screen too. I'v never been on it. And while I would normally be just fine with that, I think I too would be a little concerned about flashing anything firearms in a less than gun centric culture such as mine. Just sayin' I understand OP's heads up. Don't joke with the TSA, they have no sense of humor, and I don't want to give them reason to be curious about my cavities.

So.

Last month I decided on a trip to Europe to cycle and sample the beer and wine. I bought a tablet comp to keep in touch with home and the world.

There I was at Pearson International Airport with people, security and such all around. I decided to check in on the HBT threads as I do at home. Was I thrilled to see a HUGE banner on the top of the page that splashed out in large font a very GUN-obvious website.

Definitely NOT cool. I am not opening up a gun/no gun debate - just warning people especially if they are in a security-paranoid country to keep your screen to yourself!

By the way, after the shock and quick hiding of the screen I kept off HBT until I was out of the airport!

B

Can't control advertisers. If you find a way, let us ALL know.

Also Ironically, because of certain keywords, the banner is more likely to come up now.

I see adds at the top,but never for gun related stuff. And I paid my $25,this site has already paid for itself. So many amusing,drunken ramblings from hooch brewing inbred freaks! JK:D My lil Dear Avenger moment...

I paid my $25 and I'm looking at the gun banner ad right now.....

Not that it bothers me but there are still ads.

But srsly...... if the ads are an issue, you should be able to block content from certain domains -- and since all the ads come from googlesyndication.com -- if you block that domain the images won't render.

Google is too smart -- I've been looking for an AR-15 the past few weeks and all I get is gun ads :D

Weird. I PM'd TXBrew to see what's up.

Let us know what he says. I just renewed my subscription and I have always seen the banner adds. I'd rather see the response in his thread than all of us bombard him with the same question.

Not to mention this site keeps resetting the connection all morning,no matter what I'm trying to do. All others work fine?...just weird,considering I finally got Time Warner to update the modem they give me,& drivers newer than 2/04...?

Seriously? I see tons of ads and banners...

I see adds at the top,but never for gun related stuff. And I paid my $25,this site has already paid for itself.

I paid my $25 and I'm looking at the gun banner ad right now.....

For all you premium members, you can turn off the ads by ...

• Goto My Account
  • then Settings and Options
    [*]
  • then Edit Options
  • Scroll down a couple blocks until you see Advertising
  • Put a check in the box marked Block Ads
and if that didn't work then I'm clueless.

- Six

• Goto My Account
    [*]
  • then Edit Options

- Six

Wow worked like a charm. IMO this should be enabled by default after becoming a paid member.

I wouldn't want to block them all the time. Just if I'm in a country that harbors gun toting psychos with an agenda.

• Goto My Account
    [*]
  • then Edit Options

- Six

Sage advice from a non-paid member with only 3 posts!

I thought it was a wink and a free bottle of IPA from every other PS member!?!

B

It's a long way to Tipperary... or my corner of Ontario in this case. For he or she who comes to 'pin', bring lots of refreshment for the long trip. But keep in mind that I can re-load them with some OSH - but only some.

B

Sage advice from a non-paid member with only 3 posts!

I'm not much for posting unless it's somewhat useful. Oh and I use search a lot. I find that any questions that I have as a new brewer have usually already been answered.

- Six

Ah, an intelligent forumite. How refreshing. And from Jersey to boot? :D

Google is too smart -- I've been looking for an AR-15 the past few weeks and all I get is gun ads :D

I've noticed that too about various things. Not a good feeling, like the government is watching you (which I'm sure they are).

Latest posts

Back