All Grain bulk or buy the Store package?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishlep

Reaction score
Is is cheaper to do all grain by buying the bulk bags of grain. And crushing yourself , or by buying your order pre crushed and doing 1 or 2 batches at a time, I do 5 gal batches. :mug:

If you have a grain mill buy a bulk bag of base malt and smaller quantities of special grains; cyrstal, carapils, biscuit, etc. Much cheaper than by the pound at the HBS.

Alan

Like almost everything in life, its cheaper in bulk. But you need to pay attention to how much you will be using, and also how you will be storing your ingredients. If you end up with half a sack of 2-row thats gone stale (this is not very common but can happen) or eaten by mice, then its not necessarily cheaper than if you were to buy the grain per pound at LHBS.

Specialty grain should generally be bought by the lb, major base malts in bulk (if you brew fairly often).

You also need to pay attention to the upfront cost of a grain crusher. How many sacks of 2-row will it take for you to make up the cost of your crusher? If you brew quite often (or buy a cheap mill like corona), you can recoup these costs fairly quickly.

For me, the big reason to go bulk and crush my own (on top of base malt savings) was the option to be able to brew relatively any beer I want at any given time. I like to keep a couple lbs of popular specialty malts in plastic containers, and a sack of 2-row at all times.

You will pay likely 1/3 the cost for bulk. However, you do have to store it, and if you don't brew often, that might mean you need to get some homer buckets, or dog food bins to help control the grains exposure to humidity, etc. This probably won't be an issue though... hasn't been for me.

Definitely go bulk.

On the bulk buys I help coordinate for Syracuse, we also do splits of specialty grains. But for starters get your 2row, etc.

You will pay likely 1/3 the cost for bulk.

I wish that was true for me..... My LHBS (I won't mention their name) charges $1.17/lb for 2-row (crushed or not, and they have a spot-on crush).

They sell a 50lb bag for $46 ($0.92/lb). I wish it were cheaper.

For a typical batch using 10lb, that's a $2.50 difference. It'd take 40 batches to save $100, which I'd say is the lower end of the cost of a decent 2-roller mill.

I Buy in bulk, I keep a couple 50 lb sacks of base malt, and between 5 and 10 lbs of several specialty grains and adjuncts. I also keep a good stash of hops and yeasts on hand.

I like that I can brew a batch whenever I want since I have everything on hand without needing to plan out a specific beer and buying the ingredients.

I bought a used mill on CR a few months ago, only to find that the bulk buy faucet seems to have been turned off, at least for me in South Carolina. I buy my grain from Brewmaster's Warehouse, and without access to a local bulk buy, I find I can't save much at all by crushing my own grain. There is a homebrew club in Columbia that I have never contacted. I suppose there is a chance they have something going. Otherwise I guess I'll keep buying from Brewmaster's. They have good prices compared to anybody else on the web, at least.

I would advise that you first buy that one-third-price bag of malt before you start to crack the wallet for a mill.

I Buy in bulk, I keep a couple 50 lb sacks of base malt, and between 5 and 10 lbs of several specialty grains and adjuncts. I also keep a good stash of hops and yeasts on hand.

I like that I can brew a batch whenever I want since I have everything on hand without needing to plan out a specific beer and buying the ingredients.

+1 this is exactly what I do for myself and my buddy. It is almost like a LHBS in my house. But I can brew what I want when i want. If I need a random specialty I head to the LHBS.

I would secure your pricing before buying a mill too. See what a bag of 2row costs.

For us 2-Row costs about 31$ a bag. In the LHBS it was like $70 or more. That was the whole reason I started the grain buys.

Thanks for the tips.

I live in FL, and there are NO nearby LHBSs

I must order everything in advance. It's crazy what they want to ship expedited yeast BTW.

I recently built a new rig that allows me to do 10 gallons- 5 for keg, and 5 for bottles.
I often order in advance for 2-3 brews to save on shipping, though at the expense of having the hops age, and yeast age, etc.

Not to hijack this thread, but what has been the experience of folks who do buy in bulk, for storage of the grain? Do you transfer the grain into airtight containers? Leave it in the garage? I might have to let it sit in the garage for about 3 months if not more, I have some specialty grains that are several years old now, stored in poly bags, probably many of which ares not air tight. Never noticed any off flavors from using these older grains. Had one small less than 1 pound of torrified wheat that had bugs once, but never since.

Also, where do you buy your grains? At the online megamarts the shipping is almost as much as the malt!!

Thanks

TD

Not to hijack this thread, but what has been the experience of folks who do buy in bulk, for storage of the grain? Do you transfer the grain into airtight containers? Leave it in the garage? I might have to let it sit in the garage for about 3 months if not more, I have some specialty grains that are several years old now, stored in poly bags, probably many of which ares not air tight. Never noticed any off flavors from using these older grains. Had one small less than 1 pound of torrified wheat that had bugs once, but never since.

Also, where do you buy your grains? At the online megamarts the shipping is almost as much as the malt!!

Thanks

TD

I bought some dog food bins with a sealing gasket on them for the bags of 2 row in use (Pale, Superior pale, MO, Pilsner, etc.). I store the specialties in the same type of bins. I have these food grade 55 gallon plastic barrels with tops on them (use for cider in the fall). I store my back lock of base malts and wheats, etc. in those. My "long term storage". Store all the grains in containers in my cool basement.

Hops go in the freezer. Washed yeast in my "yeast fridge"

Hmm.

I don't have a basement, I'm in Florida, and the garage is in the 90s.

I called country malt, and they didn't want to do business with any home brewers I was told.

I guess that solves my bulk malt storage problem...

TD

Hmm.

I don't have a basement, I'm in Florida, and the garage is in the 90s.

I called country malt, and they didn't want to do business with any home brewers I was told.

I guess that solves my bulk malt storage problem...

TD

The "where" to get you bulk grain varies from state to state. I know guys in CO get it from a more local maltster company. You will have to do your digging for FL and see if you can figure something out. All depends on how much effort you are willing to put into it to make it happen ;)

Well, as it turns out, I DO have a LHBS!
hover, it's not so local, About 80 minute one way drive.

Their online storefront shows good prices on bulk grains:
Rahr 2-row for $45
Maris Otter for $60

And looks like they've got plenty of selection of base malt bulk sacks too.
I hope they've got good hours for me to get there's after work some night!

TD

Hmm if you add in your drivetime and gas, your cutting into that bulk savings again. Hope you either drive a hybrid or buy a ton of grain.

I wish that was true for me..... My LHBS (I won't mention their name) charges $1.17/lb for 2-row (crushed or not, and they have a spot-on crush).

They sell a 50lb bag for $46 ($0.92/lb). I wish it were cheaper.

For a typical batch using 10lb, that's a $2.50 difference. It'd take 40 batches to save $100, which I'd say is the lower end of the cost of a decent 2-roller mill.

get in on a group buy.. then you can get 2 row for $32.45 per 55lb bag. or about $0.59/lb

Perhaps,

But ordering online and paying for shipping would cost more. Though it would save the time. Gas and toll roads add in there.
Seems that for me, there are few better alternatives.

The online mega marts sell me the same 2 sacks, for roughly $100 plus a whopping $73 for 3-7 day "brewsaver" shipping.

The way I see, the 6-7 dollars in tax I'll pay for nearly the same $100-110 for the grain sacks, the 80 minute x2 drive costs far less than $73 shipping!!

I could fill the tank for Bout $50, and probably only use half at the most. The time is the most precious commodity for me.

So the real question is, is it worth - half day to drive back and forth to save $50 ($73 - half tank $25). Answer is probably not...

TD

For us 2-Row costs about 31$ a bag.

get in on a group buy.. then you can get 2 row for $32.45 per 55lb bag. or about $0.59/lb

We need a stickied thread about bulk buy locations/contact info. I know there are still a few around, but how do you find one close by? I would cut somebody's throat for a $30 sack of malt. There, I said it. I just don't know how to find the right throat.

It seems to me (someone on the "outside") that people throw out the group buy suggestion left and right on these forums, but nobody's advertising how to get in on the action--at least not anywhere near here. It's frustrating.

Ahh HAH!

I found the answer,

Order from the LHBS, and ship it parcel post for $21! I pay $104 plus tax for rahr and maris otter sacks. Plus 21 for shipping!

That's as good as it gets! Now if the pesky post office actually delivers to my doorstep or leaves a not that I've got pick up at the PO.. I've got WORST postal service here. UPS may be better, but also costs more....

So how does a group buy save? Will malt country sell to home brewers in bulk orders? I only discovered that there even was a local Homebrew club but a week or two ago. Haven't been able to attend any meetings yet either.

So how does a group buy save? Will malt country sell to home brewers in bulk orders? I only discovered that there even was a local Homebrew club but a week or two ago. Haven't been able to attend any meetings yet either.

as long as the HB club has bought in bulk from them in the past yes they'll sell to them. another option is working a group buy through a LHBS at a couple bucks over cost per bag.. Club buys get decent deals since they are usually buying 40+ bags at a time.

cidah, I'm about an hour and a half south of you in Elmira. I have a question about your group buys. Do they ship each individuals grain directly to them or to one of you and then you distribute it to the others? If it is shipped individually I would really like to get in on your next order!

check with some other local stores, my LHBS sells Rahr 2-row for $40...no tax as well!

We need a stickied thread about bulk buy locations/contact info. I know there are still a few around, but how do you find one close by? I would cut somebody's throat for a $30 sack of malt. There, I said it. I just don't know how to find the right throat.

It seems to me (someone on the "outside") that people throw out the group buy suggestion left and right on these forums, but nobody's advertising how to get in on the action--at least not anywhere near here. It's frustrating.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/

bulk buys on HBT

Rahr 2-row for $45
Maris Otter for $60

TD

Location of LHBS down here thats a pretty good price.

Rahr 2-row for $45
Maris Otter for $60

TD
Not sure where you are located, but there is a LHBS in Jupiter FL that does group buys every month. I think I paid $38 for Rahr 2-row.

Ahh HAH!

I found the answer,

Order from the LHBS, and ship it parcel post for $21! I pay $104 plus tax for rahr and maris otter sacks. Plus 21 for shipping!

That's as good as it gets! Now if the pesky post office actually delivers to my doorstep or leaves a not that I've got pick up at the PO.. I've got WORST postal service here. UPS may be better, but also costs more....

have you tried 50lbsack.com ? they have free shipping.

The online mega marts sell me the same 2 sacks, for roughly $100 plus a whopping $73 for 3-7 day "brewsaver" shipping.

Dude, check out Austin Homebrew's site. Last I saw they had free shipping on orders over $100. And they kick some a$$ too.

Cheers

TrickyDick said:

Thanks

TD

I use food grade buckets I got for free from a local bakery. They have a rubber gasket in the lid to keep everything airtight.

Back