Good option for BIAB voile material?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a good price and the right kind of material, make sure to use poly or nylon thread - not cotton.

+1 to what samc said regarding thread.

The fabric should work fine.. although I can't see the weave, etc. Give it a try and report back... ;-)

I purchased window sheer voile stuff at a local fabric store here (other side of the country, but same country at least!), it works as advertised :)

I didn't purchase ENOUGH unfortunately, 1.5 yards was cutting it too close so my final bag wound up unable to touch down in my kettle, but that aside...

Lesson: go big!

Has anyone got an URL to a specific Voile weave that you have bought on line AND USED. I bought one on line and the weave was to tight, water would not go through it. I am using paint strainer bags from home depot now but would like to make one for my cooler. Thanks

http://www.fabric.com/home-decor-fa...px?cm_vc=756b1813-cbc1-43b3-84bd-29889bf8fb7b

Looks like it should work (too fine.. not fine enough?)

Price is right.

Curious to see any online sources others have found for the 'ideal' BIAB material.

I'm also planning on making a BIG hop bag during the boil

Thanks
I get it at Fabricland, whatever is on clearance! For $5 I made 3 bags for my keggle, 30 brews later I am still using the same bag! The material is extra tough because it's pink! Just like a boy named Sue, if you get made fun of enough you become tough!

I understand that the material discussed here for the BIAB technique is durable and holds up over years. But I am wondering if a muslin bag that grains are steeped in would work for a single batch? I have a couple of dozen and have used them in several instances for steeping grains for color in porters and stouts. What would be the down side to their use in partial mash brewing?

Glad to hear it worked out well. I am still using the same bag, 5 brews, without any degradation of the material. I have three of four spare bags on-the-ready too.

I just bought 6 yds at Jo Ann fabrics last week for 3.50 a yard. That's a 45" wide by however many yards you buy. For my 26 gallon pot, I can make 3 bags out of that.

I also found a good deal on 1" poly webbing for .27 cents a foot. So I'm going to be making extras and some hop bags and hopefully never have to worry about getting bags again.

Why is cotton not good to use for biab material? Just curious.

Not 100% sure, but I believe it is because the cotton fibers will swell restricting liquid flow through the bag. I have seen the reason posted here on HBT but can't seem to find it now. :confused:

As far as I know my thread is cotton and after 6+ uses it's never given me any issues. my sewing however leaves a lot to be desired :)

Do a solid stitch, like the stitch in jeans where the fabric is folded several times and double sewn. Mine has held up like a champ.

Back