Spring and Summer? Time for my first Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

So with spring and summer around the corner (especially here with temps already reaching 70 some days) I am looking to start on a spring/summer project. Thinking I want to produce my first wit. Going to be a fairly light beer with lower gravity and of course not much hop. I know my recipe is fairly square and straight forward, I am just curious as to the recommendations on yeast. I have narrowed them down to two and I just wanted some opinions on which would work best with my recipe. Wanted something fairly clean, and not plumy or bubble-gummy. Also I am going to go a bit off style with some american hops

OG- 1.043
FG- 1.008
SRM- 3.2
IBU- 11.4

5.00lb Pilsner
3.50lb Wheat Malt
0.125 oz Citra 60min
0.125 oz Citra 15min
0.125 oz Citra 05min
.75oz Orange Peel, Bitter
.75oz Crushed Coriander

The yeasts I am considering are:

WLP410 Belgian Wit II Ale Yeast
Less phenolic than WLP400, and more spicy. Will leave a bit more sweetness, and flocculation is higher than WLP400. Use to produce Belgian Wit, spiced Ales, wheat Ales, and specialty Beers.
Attenuation: 70-75%
Flocculation: Low to Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 67-74°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

OR

Wyeast 3944 | Belgian Witbier™

This versatile witbier yeast strain can be used in a variety of Belgian style ales. This strain produces a complex flavor profile dominated by spicy phenolics with low to moderate ester production. It is a great strain choice when you want a delicate clove profile not to be overshadowed by esters. It will ferment fairly dry with a slightly tart finish that compliments the use of oats, malted and unmalted wheat. This strain is a true top cropping yeast requiring full fermenter headspace of 33%.

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium
Attenuation: 72-76%
Temperature Range: 62-75F, 16-24C
Alcohol Tolerance: 11 to12% ABV

Would love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks!
Kyle

Looks good to me. I like all kinds of different yeasts in my wit, from authentic Belgian strains, to American strains for a less funky flavor. My only concern is leaving as much tart out of the beer as possible, since I don't care for it. You may have a different opinion.

I think American Hops would pair very will with a Wit, although I admit I've only used EKG I think.

Back