Big beer without a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizardofwoz

Reaction score
So I brewed my 2nd batch on sunday.. A scaldis clone (extract) with an OG of 1.12
Due to time constants I did not make a starter and just used a wy 1388xl smack pack.

Its fermenting just fine but I'm worried about not hitting my fg (1.02) for what should be a 12% beer.

Any recommendations our should I just relax?

I love snack packs!

Seriously though, I can't believe it actually fermented, that's a big beer for a little yeast cell count!

I dont think you are going to get to 12% with that yeast with or without a starter. I would plan on adding nutrient and some champaign yeast at some point, but I have never made a beer with this high ABV or ever used that yeast so could be wrong.

That's 83% attentuation (120-20)/120.

From Wyeast:
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=128

Your yeast only have a 74-78% attenuation rate. You're looking at hitting 1.027-1.031.

If it were me, I'd try repitching after your first yeast hit their mark.

I've never repitched after fermentation was complete so I can't say whether it would work, that's what I would do.

I'm also a pretty reckless brewer so do your research before trying that.

I would expect the previous comments to be correct in that you won't ferment out as much as you intended and that'll leave the beer too sweet compared to what you intended.

I think the bigger problem is going to be off-flavors from you dramatically under pitching and stressing the yeast. There are a few off flavors that could result from under pitching (especially as dramatically as you did).

Acetaldehyde (rotten apples) or estery (fruity... banana, grapefruity)

Back