Guitar Lessons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
So we were shopping today, and my 4 year old son had some Christmas money on him. He came across a First Act mini-dreadnaught steel string acoustic, and had to have it. For $30, this thing was a deal. It even came with a nice hard case. It sounds OK, and is quite playable, and stays in tune well. I was proud of him.

In preparation for teaching him a little, I went to a local acoustic music shop to get some fresh strings for my acoustic. I literally haven't picked up a guitar in over a year, and have not seriously practiced in eons. What little I do know is mostly self taught, and some stuff I picked up by hanging around better players.

Anyway, I see that they offer lessons at this place. 30 min/week for $17.50 per session. It is run by an older couple, who apparently are bluegrass players. I'm thinking about doing it, starting next month when things should be settled down a little.

I really don't know where i'm going with this, because I have no idea what to expect from lessons. I don't know if they focus strictly on bluegrass, or what. I figure learning the fundamentals will help me more than anything, and just getting back to practicing seriously, like I used to do.

So, if any of you have taken lessons, I'd like to hear of your experiences!

No lessons here except from other players. I don't practice like I used to, but I try to play something everyday. Doesn't always work out that way though.

Been playing since '71. I have a '76 Fender Telecaster Deluxe, a couple of Mexi Strats, a Chinese Strat, and a Kaman El/Ac...Fender Princeton Reverb Amp, a Line 6 Vetta Amp, a Hognose portable, and an El-Cheapo amp I take on the road w/headphones, a ton of pedals.

Been in several bands, did the bar circuit for a year or so in So Jersey a long time ago.

P6071476-00.jpg

took lessons for 18 years ( and no I am not slow :p) My progression was from single string songs from tablature, to then dual string songs using the high e string to the (f**K has it been that long?) one above the G string ;) heads out of the gutters boyz. then learned guitar boogie, then dualing banjo's , then a few country tunes, then teen years rock and heavy metal, then specialized study on my guitar god. Steve Vai her is link for more information

http://www.vai.com
Yes the inventor of the 7 string guitar the Ibanez Universe I just wish this was a left hand guitar :( Sucks to be a left hand player)

after my seperation of my first wife, I stopped playing. been meaning to get back to it but procastination wins every time, think I am just bored with playing with myself. once again heads out of the gutter.

LOL, I envy you and your 4 YO Swami. My soon to be three year old bullheaded weapon of mass destruction is a prime candidate for drummer material. (hell he constantly picks up sticks to pretend he's drumming) But I haven't conceded to buying drums for him until either;

A: He gets some, but just beats on them, so they stay at grandmas house.

Or

B: He gets some and actually learns how to play them, and then he can keep them here...

Like I said tho, he's not 3 yet and we're still working on not crapping our pants... :drunk:

Ize

I got 7 years on myself. Self taught. It takes a couple years to actually get the Guitar Theory in your head, but in those years your fingers get trained. I'm a strictly rhythm guitarist with some simple solos. (not because i can't, because i won't :) ) and i hadn't bothered to learn chords by names. I eventually picked it up. Basically what you have to look at in lessons is:
1) is there anything you can't teach him?
2) do they teach general music theory and not just guitar theory?
3) do you think he will stick with it?
4) do you think he will get discouraged without lessons?

Savage - EADGBe

No I originally tried as a right hander and could not do it. left hand was my calling. I think what really done it was. I went to church a while back, they were stuck for a bass player. since the first bottom notes are the same as a six string, I said why not I will help you all out. I will play root notes and keep the rhythm just give me the music selection and I will go from there. well I winged it, with no music plan and no music chart nor with what ****ING key they were playing in. and the pastor said to me "you should really play right hand, you must learn to over come your handicap" I told him to go "well you know" and I haven't played guitar seriously since, then after I seperated from my first wife I just put it off from there. well there is my drunken sad story.

on with life.

sAvAgE said:
No I originally tried as a right hander and could not do it. left hand was my calling. I think what really done it was. I went to church a while back, they were stuck for a bass player. since the first bottom notes are the same as a six string, I said why not I will help you all out. I will play root notes and keep the rhythm just give me the music selection and I will go from there. well I winged it, with no music plan and no music chart nor with what ****ING key they were playing in. and the pastor said to me "you should really play right hand, you must learn to over come your handicap" I told him to go "well you know" and I haven't played guitar seriously since, then after I seperated from my first wife I just put it off from there. well there is my drunken sad story.

on with life.

lol yeah because playing left handed is a handicap...?

They could have atleast given you some music so that you knew what was going on...

Pumbaa said:
pardon my ignorance BUT . . .

Couldnt you just turn it over and string it in reverse?
That only works on 3 conditions (I'm sure there's more):

1. You know there's such a thing as a left handed guitar...aka Hendrix, and

2. If the strings are already on the guitar you'd have to wait until it's time to change them out because of the string lengths, and

3. You'd have to re-learn how to play from the beginning. Changing out (reversing) brain patterns (a left-handers brain is different from a right-handers brain), muscle memory and finger control, etc., is difficult.

I say go for it man.

I promised myself when I made E-6 I was going to buy a new guitar and take lessons. Well, this brewing hobby kaboshed that plan.

If I DO ever do it though, I'm gonna buy a bass instead. Then I'll have a spot in your band. :D

SwAMi75 said:
I'm also a leftie, but i found an easy solution early on.....play right-handed. :)
Same here! I've been playing for years (self taught), and I'm embarrassed as to how badly I play with the amount of time I've been hacking at it. I've studied a fair amount of music theory, so that carries my lack of real guitar skill. I've always found it curious that the "right handed" guitar position places a lot more dexterity and finger strength on the left hand for most styles of playing (save for some advanced classical techniques or some of the more technical electric lead stuff).

Currently own:
2 Fender Student Grade Acoustics (decent guitars to learn on...quickly outgrown)
Martin DXM Acoustic
Cort Custom Acoustic (sweet Korean made guitar with a thin body, big sound, and a nice Fishman pickup)
Parker P-38 Electric with a Marshall half stack

Jimi Hendrix, Dick Dale, and John McEnroe are all lefty's...Theyve been making lefty guitars forever. (granted they might not play one)

If I were to start all over again I would learn the piano not the guitar. Most music theory relates to piano a lot easier and if you learn theory you can play anything (in theory).

But yeah take lessons, it cant hurt, unless your teacher is some wanker yngwie school of shredding drop-out.

I took lessons for a few years. It was good to get the basics down properly. Randy Rhodes would always find an instructor in each different city while he was touring. If it turned out that he was better than the teacher he found, he would give him the lesson!

I'd like to get my son playing either the bass or the sax. I wouldn't mind if he played the trumpet (like his namesake), but gosh I'd hate it if he became a drummer. There's like, what? Two or three great drummers in the world? No one cares about the drummer.

Cheesefood said:
I'd like to get my son playing either the bass or the sax. I wouldn't mind if he played the trumpet (like his namesake), but gosh I'd hate it if he became a drummer. There's like, what? Two or three great drummers in the world? No one cares about the drummer.

That's for damn sure... There's way too many guitarists out there and not enough GOOD ones... Bass is almost identical in tuning and root notes... However there's very few good bassists... Whip him into shape and make him a badass bassist

Cheesefood said:

Isnt that the point? The world needs more drummers! Especially musically inclined ones. My drummer plays guitar, knows theory, and writes better songs than me. (Hes a Metal Shredder by day)

I can name at least 3 good drummers:
Art Blakey
Budgie
Dave Lombardo

Torben Ulrich said:
If I were to start all over again I would learn the piano not the guitar.

But yeah take lessons, it cant hurt, unless your teacher is some wanker yngwie school of shredding drop-out.
I'd love to start some piano lessons. Rather than learning one in lieu of the other, I'd like skills at both. Right now I'm more of an amateur-ish guitar player and a complete hack at the piano.

I was disappointed in my first and only guitar lesson. Turns out I knew more chords and chord theory than my "teacher," so he decided to show me drop-D tuning and teach me a REALLY bad acoustic rendition of Zeppelin's Kashmir. I never went back. I should probably find a good instructor and take some real lessons.

As for Cheese's comment about the drummer: EVERYONE in the band cares about the drummer (he and the bassist hold the whole thing together, musically speaking), but unless you're a die-hard Rush weenie, fans don't really give a $hit about the drummer. Devil's advocate: there are only two or three great trumpet players that your average joe can name as well...

Torben Ulrich said:
Isnt that the point? The world needs more drummers! Especially musically inclined ones. My drummer plays guitar, knows theory, and writes better songs than me. (Hes a Metal Shredder by day)

I can name at least 3 good drummers:
Art Blakey
Budgie
Dave Lombardo

I'll give you Lombardo. Slayer is a better band when he's around.

Phil Collins. Does he count? How about old one-arm from Def Leppard?

No one can play like Joe Satriani, but everyone can drum for him.

Chairman Cheyco said:
What do you call a guy who hangs around musicians?

The Drummer!

What's the quickest way for a drummer to get kicked out of a band?

"Hey, you guys wanna hear some songs I wrote?"

Yuri_Rage said:
I'd love to start some piano lessons. Rather than learning one in lieu of the other, I'd like skills at both. Right now I'm more of an amateur-ish guitar player and a complete hack at the piano.

I was disappointed in my first and only guitar lesson. Turns out I knew more chords and chord theory than my "teacher," so he decided to show me drop-D tuning and teach me a REALLY bad acoustic rendition of Zeppelin's Kashmir. I never went back. I should probably find a good instructor and take some real lessons.

As for Cheese's comment about the drummer: EVERYONE in the band cares about the drummer (he and the bassist hold the whole thing together, musically speaking), but unless you're a die-hard Rush weenie, fans don't really give a $hit about the drummer. Devil's advocate: there are only two or three great trumpet players that your average joe can name as well...

Agreed, with a good drummer average players can sound awesome - and that's a fact.

Roy Hargrove
Terrence Blanchard
Maurice Andre

Torben Ulrich said:
What do you throw to a drowning bass player?
-His amp

That's frggin' funny. :D

I am actually thinking about getting a bass setup, and getting into it. I think I'd make a better bass player overall than I would a guitar player. I'll still keep my guitars, though.

If you already know the basics of playing, I'd recommend sheetmusicplus.com and tablature. It seems a lot of lessons devolve into tablature instruction anyways. It often takes 3-4 lessons to do an entire song, when you could buy the tab for less than ten bucks.

Back