steep to boil time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PotRoastMan

Reaction score
My first batch, using our electric stove largest burner on max. I have a 20qt pot and I started with about 2.5 gallons of water. It took over an hour to go from 155 degrees to boiling! I had the lid on, only slightly to the side so I could have the thermometer in there. I'm wondering if that long time is a problem, or what typical times are? Is there is a way to make it go faster, such as a heat stick (read about those already) or I was thinking maybe some kind of insulation/wrap for the pot?

You can split the boil into two pots. That's what I do. But it's only an inconvenience - there's no actual problem in taking so long.

If your pot has a thick base (one of those with an aluminum plate encased in steel), that could be part of your problem. Try finding one with a thin base.

I have two 20 quart pots with thin based. Bought for $20 each some time ago and they heat up fine on my stove with up to 16 quarts in them. I'm not saying they are as fast as a turkey boiler, but seem to do OK.

I recently bought a new 22 quart pot. On sale for $35; thought it was a great deal. Nice and thick/sturdy, steel, with one of these even heating thick bases. Brewed a beer with it, 14 quarts in the pot, and had real problems getting it to a boil. In fact I don't think I ever got a decent boil. have been concerned about the beer, but seems to have turned out OK. Not going to be using that pot again for beer.

I have had the same problem. I just got a turkey fryer last week. Did first batch 2 days ago. Instead of waiting for 2 hours to get a boil with 3 gallons of water on the electric stove, I boiled 5 gallons in 20 minutes. Well worth the investment.

I built an insulation wrap for my pot as shown in that other thread, and it works very well! I used some very inexpensive foil-wrapped fiberglass 1/4" insulation that is normally attached to rafters in an attic. 25' roll was $8, and I only used about 5' of it to create the wrap and also a piece to sit on the pot cover. And metal tape, but I already had some of that.

This time I started with 3.5 gallons of water, and it went from steep to boil in only 40 minutes. Once it was boiling, I was also able to turn the stove down to 50% and it continued a rolling boil for the hour. The wrap got warm, but not too hot to touch. It works for me!

I would recommend steeping in a smaller amount of water(1-3 quarts per pound) in a smaller pot while you heat water in your brewpot. After the steep pour the steeping water into your brewpot and brew as normal.

Back