Brewday for Snatch Patch IPA--today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing up a batch today with a buddy of mine who's leaving to go live in Texas. We had talked about brewing up a batch before he left and he/we wanted something big--in an IPA style. He's a big fan of the St. George IPA which is kind of along the English IPA lines so I thought of a perfect recipe for this beer--my good buddy Sam75's IPA. I took pretty much the same recipe he used in an extract version. I converted it over and got it close enough I think.
Anyway, I mashed in at 1 PM EST. 14 lbs. of grain pretty much maxed out my mash-tun! :) Now its time for some lunch.

This will be the first time I'm using my new Sabco kettle with the Hop Stopper installed, and it will also be the first time I use a brand new counterflow chiller. Ground water temp of 85 degrees does not do an immersion chiller well, so I had to come up with a solution. Now I'm just going to use my old immersion chiller in an ice bath for a pre-chiller. Wish me luck.

Getting ready to pour the first brew of the day--LWPA straight off the tap....life is good..... :cool: :D

The name came form a night of drinking at a college hangout in Wiliamsburg, VA, called the Greenleafe Cafe. Known for thier fine beer selection. We were sitting in a bench type area with a bunch of girls and it was dubbed the "Snatch Patch". When my buddy said that, the lightbulb went on. :D

You lucky dog! I'm struck at work reading the forum when I get a break here & there and you are at home brewing on a Friday! I envy you! :mad: I'd love to at home brewing (and drinking a homebrew, of course!). It's 85oF, sun mixed with coulds, perfect day for it! Oh, well.

Snatch Patch - nice name! :D Enjoy and let us know how it turns out! BTW, I bottle my version of Lake Walk Pale Ale this weekend!

sunsabitches! had to rub our snouts in it hu?
drink a pint for us working bastards, eh orrelse? and may the brew God's bless the almighty "Snatch Patch".......

Turned out to be a GREAT brewday. This one was the smoothest I've ever had a session go. There were about 6 people here during most of it so even with the distractions of talking/eating/drinking, everything went great.

The Hop Stopper is the cat's meow. I took a few pics of the end result (I'll post them with the review) and the counterflow chiller definitely worked better than the immersion chiller. I'm gonna experiment more with that next time as it didn't get my full attention yesterday. :D

Great brew session. Can't wait to do it again!!!!

Back