Using MrMalty Yeast Rate Calulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jermanimal

Reaction score
Haven't use Jamil's pitching rate calculator before.

Getting two results, one is for a 2L Simple Starter, other is for a 1.16L Intermittent Shaking Starter.

Can't find any info about what an "Intermittent Shaking" starter is.

Assuming "simple starter" is just boil, cool, pour and pitch...then wait.

Assuming "Intermittent Shaking" is sort of the middle ground between a stir plate and a "Simple Starter".

The question is: How vigorous and frequent is "Intermittent"?

Being too cheap to buy a stirplate, and too lazy to build one, I would say that my starters qualify as "Intermittent Shaking." I post up my flask on my computer desk or on the coffee table, and everytime my eyes happen to fall on it, I give it a good vigorous swirl for 30 seconds or so. Generally that comes down to about 6-7 times per hour, if I had to guess.

Really though, if we're going to break down number of swirls per hour, or amount of force applied per swirl, I think it might just be time to get a stirplate to put your mind at ease.

I'm also a "shaker". I leave my flask on top of the desk and every time I walk by, I swarle it around real good and set it back.

Back