GABF have the real beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering about the companies who submit their beers to be judged. If a big brewery submits a beer. Is it the same exact recipe they use for production? Or is it one from a "testing lab" that is submitted and just named the same beer they produce?

I was wondering about the companies who submit their beers to be judged. If a big brewery submits a beer. Is it the same exact recipe they use for production? Or is it one from a "testing lab" that is submitted and just named the same beer they produce?

Are you a NASCAR fan by chance? :D

That one on the track sure is not like my old ford....

All beer brands entered in the Great American Beer Festival must be commercially available exactly as entered by brand name. “Commercially available” means the entered brand has been available for sale at retail under the exact brand name as entered on the GABF entry registration form prior to the competition entry registration deadline.

http://www.gabfregistration.com/info.html

I think the GABF is a load of bull. How the hell do crap beers keep winning medals?! Is bud select REALLY the best light lager in all of America? :cross:

Category: 28 American Style Light Lager, 25 Entries
Gold: Budweiser Select, Anheuser-Busch, Inc., Saint Louis, MO
Silver: Keystone Light, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Bronze: Michelob Ultra, Anheuser-Busch, Inc., Saint Louis, MO

Category: 29 American-Style Lager or Premium Lager, 34 Entries
Gold: Coors Banquet, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Silver: Miller High Life, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO

Category: 30 American Style Specialty Lager, 23 Entries
Gold: Keystone Ice, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Silver: Pre-Pro, Coors Brewing Co., Gol, Golden, CO
Bronze: Steel Reserve, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO

I am sure they would be willing to accept your entry. :)

I think all of the above companies have a few more years combined experience than your brewery.

How the hell do crap beers keep winning medals?! Is bud select REALLY the best light lager in all of America?

Because GABF is a commercial competition dedicated to commercial beers and it doesn't get any more commercial than Bud. If you read the guidelines for those styles, you'll see how it works.

I am sure they would be willing to accept your entry. :)

I think all of the above companies have a few more years combined experience than your brewery.

I don't know what passes for 'good' beer in Georgia, but I do know that Bud, Miller, and Coors isn't what we call good beer up here. :)

Edit: Yeah, I know how it works. It just amazes me that they can say they have award winning beer when the category is practically formulated so that they win.

I don't know what passes for 'good' beer in Georgia, but I do know that Bud, Miller, and Coors isn't what we call good beer up here. :)

The question I would then ask is: do you refer to the standards of the state of Georgia, the majority of residents in my small rural town, the regional BJCP certifiable types, or my taste in beer? :fro:

But I WIll stand by the statement that those companies know how to brew exactly what they intend to brew very VERY well. I don't like to eat Cheerios, but that does not change the fact that is the best selling cereal.

How many craft breweries make an American-style Light Lager? And if you were a craft brewer, would you enter the category at the risk of winning? Not the kind of thing that confers bragging rights.

I think the GABF is a load of bull. How the hell do crap beers keep winning medals?! Is bud select REALLY the best light lager in all of America? :cross:

Category: 28 American Style Light Lager, 25 Entries
Gold: Budweiser Select, Anheuser-Busch, Inc., Saint Louis, MO
Silver: Keystone Light, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Bronze: Michelob Ultra, Anheuser-Busch, Inc., Saint Louis, MO

Category: 29 American-Style Lager or Premium Lager, 34 Entries
Gold: Coors Banquet, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Silver: Miller High Life, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO

Category: 30 American Style Specialty Lager, 23 Entries
Gold: Keystone Ice, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Silver: Pre-Pro, Coors Brewing Co., Gol, Golden, CO
Bronze: Steel Reserve, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Why don't you dig up info on what all the other entries for these categories and enlighten us as to which brews were wrongly snubbed

Edit: Yeah, I know how it works. It just amazes me that they can say they have award winning beer when the category is practically formulated so that they win.

The style doesn't define a beer, the beer defines the style. The beers that win in that category are the defining beers for that style. Winning a medal doesn't tell you it's a good beer, it tells you it is the most indicative of that style.

Would you be bothered if Alaskan Smoked Porter won in the smoke beers category? That category pretty much exists because of their smoked porter, so it really shouldn't be surprising if they win.

But I WIll stand by the statement that those companies know how to brew exactly what they intend to brew very VERY well.

Yeah, I agree.

And if the GABF considers quality to be determined by efficiency, consistency, and profitability, then yes BMC probably is the best beer and justly deserves all those medals. :D

Yeah, I agree.

And if the GABF considers quality to be determined by efficiency, consistency, and profitability, then yes BMC probably is the best beer and justly deserves all those medals. :D

They are not saying it's the best beer, they are saying it's the best AMERICAN LIGHT LAGER. Huge difference.

Back