Carbing and Yeast-ing a BIG Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
Hey all, forgive me for i have sinned and have not been on HBT for a couple months...Now that that is off my chest onto business.

I have a Chocolate Cherry RIS that i brewed in early January. I want to age it a year to consumer on the wifey and my 1 year wedding anniversary.

The beer is at about 9-9.5% ABV. Should i add a little more priming sugar than usual AND a packet of US-05 to get some fizz? I also purchased Oxygen-barrier caps for the aging.

What do you guys think?

Dave

I pitch a pack of S-05 into my bottling bucket on all my high gravity brews.

Is it necessary? Maybe not. But i'd rather spend the extra $2 on a packet of yeast then worry about the bottles carbing.

That last beer i just bottled was a 12% Belgian dark strong that carbed up in just about a month. I used the regular amount of priming sugar and pitched a pack of S-05 into the bottling bucket and then racked on top of it. That was in the primary for 6 weeks and the secondary for about 3.5 months.

What volume of Co2 is typical of Barleywines, Trippels, and RIS's? I have a keg system and am thinking that it will be around 1.5 or so.

can you overpitch at bottling?

I would defintiely argue that you can. For reference, when Sierra Nevada bottle conditions their beers, they add back the equivalent of 1g of dried yeast for every 5 gallons. Adding 11g to a 5 gallon batch may results in lots of unnecessary yeast sludge at the bottom of the bottles.

Back