Question about my Belgian.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
I brewed a Brewers Best Bold Series Belgian Tripel back June. Bottled it in July. Its turned out great. My question is why is it that before I put the bottle in the fridge it is crystal clear. You can see straight through the bottle no cloudiness. Looks like it could be water in the bottle. But once its been chilled its very cloudy, and hazy. What causes this? Just curious, the beer tastes fine, just didnt know why it becomes cloudy.

You have chill haze, which is caused by the presence of proteins that decrease in solubility with the drop in temperature and come out of solution, making your beer cloudy. You can reduce chill haze by chilling your wort faster and more completely before pitching your yeast (this encourages a lot of those proteins to drop out earlier and you leave them behind in your fermenter), and by using finings such as irish moss (added in the boil) or gelatin or isinglass (added later), or by cold-filtering your beer like the pros do.

Chill haze happens to a lot of homebrewers and I think it's difficult to completely eliminate it without filtering.

Thankfully, it doesn't change the taste!

Back